Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8 and Boot Camp 5 with Mid-2011 iMac12,2 DISABLING INTEL HD GRAPHICS

There seems to be some issue with this newer Boot Camp 5 and Windows 8 becuase of the Intel HD graphics in the processor. I have a maxed out Intel iMac 27" Mid-2011 with Intel Core i7 and AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB.

When Windows 8 Pro is first installed with Boot Camp 5 USB flash drive everything seems fine. The Intel HD graphics are detected and so is the AMD Radeon. But if the machine is put to sleep the computer resumes and has a BSOD. The reason is igdkmd64.sys.

I think the only way I know of to solve this is to disable the Intel HD graphics in Device Manager before the machine begins crashing. On "first" boot the Intel HD graphics are listed in device manager. Later depending on restart, sleep, hibernate, the Intel HD graphics are listed under hidden devices in Device Manager.

IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS?

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A SOLUTION BESIDES THIS?

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 2:28 AM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2013 4:49 AM in response to skuno23

What is odd is that you have access to the Intel GPU at all. Apple has restricted Windows to only using the AMD GPU on all Mac's. On most Mac computers the Intel GPU never even shows up let alone being able to switch between them.

@ mende1

All newer model Mac's, and PCs, computers have the Intel GPU. It is built into the CPU on all Intel "i" Processors.

Mar 27, 2013 7:46 PM in response to Shootist007

I don't know if it's just my iMac that lists the Intel HD graphics, but one day it showed up in Windows 7 and still exists today in Windows 8. Could somebody see if theirs shows up in Windows in Device Manager? Maybe with Show Hidden Devices checked.

BTW I did a clean install and left the boot camp usb flash drive inserted during the install which automatically installs intel hd and bluetooth and then start boot camp drivers installs after Windows setup is completed.

Windows 8 and Boot Camp 5 with Mid-2011 iMac12,2 DISABLING INTEL HD GRAPHICS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.