Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 5th generation speaker "blown"?

Hello all, I am new to the forum but was hoping to get an answer from someone who might know a bit more about iPods/Apple. My husband and I got our iPod touchs back in November of 2012. Just last month, out of the blue, his speaker randomly started crackling. At first it was just occasionally at high volume, now it does it all the time, even on just a few bars of volume. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like the speaker is blown, however I'm not sure if this is even possible? I was wondering if this is covered by Apple as it is obviously a malfunction of the internal parts and not from some misuse or abuse on our part. I really don't have any extra cash to just run out and buy a new one, but could really use some advice on whether or not the limited 1 year warranty applies to this specific situation or not. Also, since it has been a few months, we no longer have the reciept so if it was covered by the warranty, would this matter (don't they track the serial number when you log in with your apple id?)?? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, 5th generation

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 4:09 AM

15 replies

Jun 12, 2013 7:44 PM in response to lllaass

So I'm not the only one... I actually have this problem too with my built-in speaker on my 5th gen iPod Touch. A couple of days ago, my alarm woke me up, but I quickly noticed that the speaker wasn't sounding right. It sounded "blown" in high volume. I didn't do anything to it, just like danas822 said, "It came out of the blue". Right now, it sounds good when I lowered the volume of the alarm in it. The weird thing is that when I owned a 4th gen, it was always loud, and I never had any problems with the speaker on the 4th gen getting blown because of an alarm. I'm going to keep mines the way it is for now. If the damage gets worse like danas822 said, then I will contact Apple about it to get it replaced. I have owned my iPod for a month now..

Aug 15, 2013 5:18 AM in response to Govani

It does not matter if you purchased it from BB or directly from Apple. You can just exchange it at an Apple store.

Govani wrote:

The same thing happened to my Ipod 5th Gen. It has not been more than a year. I did not abuse the ipod at all. I was wandering if apple would be able to exchange it at no cost at all, but does it matter if I purchased the Ipod at Best Buy. Will the apple still be able to exchange?

May 1, 2014 5:55 PM in response to danas822

so, this same thing happened to me. Months ago, my ipods speakers made a static noise, so after it got worse and worse i went into the apple store and they replaced it for free. However, now with this replace ipod touch, a few months ago this one started doing the same thing, and it got worse and worse too. unfortunately i hadnt known that you could get it repaired as much needed under warranty, so now my warranty has expired. However, i haven't dropped my ipod touch or done any damage to make the speakers stop working. I dont have the money to replace it, so even though i didnt drop it or have water damage and this is the second time to happen to me, would it still cost $149 to replace?

iPod touch 5th generation speaker "blown"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.