Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to best use AirPort Extreme?

Is using one of Apple's wi-fi base stations the same as using a router from my cable company? I want to get away from leasing my router and would AirPort do the trick?

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 6:22 AM

9 replies

Mar 27, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Wengib

Chances are, the device that you lease from your service provider is a combination modem/router, also known as a gateway device that provides the functions of a separate modem and router in one package.

If that is the case, then you need to remember that the AirPort Extreme and other Apple devices are routers only....they do not have a modem on board. You would still need to buy a separate modem to use with the AirPort Extreme....or lease a modem from your service provider.

But, without more information, we're just guessing here. Can you provide the make and model number of your leased router, so we can provide a more informed answer to your question?

Mar 27, 2013 7:26 AM in response to Wengib

Thanks for the info. You have a modem/router or gateway device.

If you remove the SMC device, you will need to ask Comcast to supply you with a simple modem.....or....they may provide a list of compatible modems that you could purchase yourself.

A simple modem might cost $50-75. How that would work out as far as a break even with your lease arrangement, we cannot say.

Mar 27, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok- so the AIrPort Express or AirPort Extreme would simply work with the Comcast modem I lease from my cable provider, (or I go buy one).

Now- other than AirPort Express/Extreme being a cool device- why do I want to buy this product? What does it offer me that my home cable internet service does not already?

Would using AirPort set up a second wireless network in my home?

Mar 27, 2013 8:18 AM in response to Wengib

If your current modem/router supplied by Comcasts provides you with a wireless network, there is likely no reason to consider adding an AirPort router to your network to do the same thing again.....unless you just want to have an Apple router.....or you really need two wireless networks.

The question here might really be what you hope to gain by buying an Apple router. Was there something specific that you were looking for? Or, some feature that you need that is not supplied by the Comcast gateway?

Jan 15, 2014 5:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Because COMCAST's gateway, modem is on another wall of the room from the Airport modem and my iMac, the COMCAST Modem is not reachable with an CAT5 Ethernet cable from the Airport (without the cable being SUPER long and run along the baseboard).

Also ... I have a network HD (next to my computer) plugged into the USB port on the back of the Airport.

So ... I would like COMCAST's gateway to communicate with the Airport.

After starting Airport Utility, I got this message:

"No configured Airport base stations have been found"

The COMCAST rep configured their Gateway/router wirelessly with my new iMac ... and the internet works just dandy, but with a constantly blinking orange light on the Airport.

BY THE WAY, I did a hard reset via the pinhole on the back of the Airport and it momentarily brought up configuring the Airport. But, with a restart, back to square one.

Another observation ... immediately after I did the hard reset, I could NOT access the Internet UNTIL I RESTARTED the iMac??? ... wierd!!!

Jan 15, 2014 12:03 PM in response to johnlove123

Will I have to purchase a Airport Express and place it physically next to the COMCAST box and then use a CAT 5/6 cable to physically connect the small Express to the COMCAST box to get the Express to link to the Airport Extreme?

I am seeing post after post saying that the new COMCAST Gateway does not see the Airport Extreme ... concluding to give up.

Jan 16, 2014 3:45 AM in response to johnlove123

Accessing http://10.0.0.1, I see my iMac's IP Address and the Mac Address.

Potentially "stupid" question now follows:

If the Comcast Gateway sees the Mac wirelessly, why can't the Comcast Gateway see the the Airport Extreme and then the Airport Extreme sees the iMac?

If the Comcast were a JUST a Modem, then a CAT6 cable would connect it to the Airport, allowing the Modem to "see" the Airport over the LAN.

Okay, change the Comcast to a wireless Gateway ... if it is wireless, the cable should no longer be required. This wireless Gateway sees the iMac. So in theory why can't the Comcast wireless Gateway see the Airport? The Comcast wireless Gateway does not need to see the iMac, just the Airport. And, in sequence, the Airport see the iMac wirelessly.

How to best use AirPort Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.