Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently loaded OS 10.6.2. I can get on the internet but can't access email. I get a pop up that asks for my email passwd. I enter the passwd but it is rejected. My email provider checked everything from their end and said it was my software. Any ideas?

I recently installed 10.6.2, everything was fine for a few days. Last night I logged on to check email and got a new pop up window asking for my email account password. Its never came up before with the old OS or with the new OS prior to this point. I entered my password but it was rejected. After an 1 1/2 hours on the phone with my internet/email service provider it was determined that my password was good and the system was ok on their end. Access to the internet is not affected so I think its something wrong with the new OS. Any ideas?

thanks

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 6:01 AM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2013 6:15 AM in response to brprider

Mac OS X v10.6: Mail.app won’t open, or "You can't use this version of Mail…" alert after installing Security Update 2012-004:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4424?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Fellow user Grant Bennet-Alder offers this solution:

Some users have reported this problem if the Mail Application has been moved out of the top-level /Applications folder, or duplicated in another location.

When the Security Update is done, the old version of Mail is disabled.

The solution has been to:

1) make certain Mail is in the /Applications folder

2) There is no other copy anywhere else.

3) Once steps 1 and 2 have been done, Manually download and re-apply the Security Update (2012-004) by hand.

Security Update 2012-004 (Snow Leopard)

If the Mail.app has been LOST, it can be re-installed by applying the 10.6.8 version 1.1 combo update. But this update is quite large and it is usually not necessary:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Mar 27, 2013 6:25 AM in response to brprider

Is the account IMAP or POP?

A couple of times in the past I have had problems with an IMAP email account, just as you describe. Deleting the account and re-creating it fixed the problem. All emails should re-appear once it's recreated.

Don't do this if it's a POP account without backing up all your emails as they will be deleted when deleting the account.

I recently loaded OS 10.6.2. I can get on the internet but can't access email. I get a pop up that asks for my email passwd. I enter the passwd but it is rejected. My email provider checked everything from their end and said it was my software. Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.