Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move my movie to a dvd as I do not have a iDVD on my computer

Hi I have just made my first movie but do not know how to upload to a dvd as i do not have a idvd on my compter

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 8:23 AM

Hi

If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.

Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.

• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay

• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)

• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)

• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD

Burn http://www.digital-digest.com/software/Burn.html

only You can buy from Apple is

• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.

AppleMan1958

You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.

Yours Bengt W

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2013 8:23 AM in response to lindafromfife

Hi

If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.

Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.

• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay

• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)

• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)

• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD

Burn http://www.digital-digest.com/software/Burn.html

only You can buy from Apple is

• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.

AppleMan1958

You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.

Yours Bengt W

Apr 6, 2013 9:52 AM in response to lindafromfife

lindafromfife wrote:

… and have to say I perfer ilife. …

iDVD was by far the best and most versatile 'disk maker' ever.

unfortunately, Apple has axed it.

… should be released into the free .........

to inspire you, how to 'mod' iDVD to your personal needs, I made a website (years ago, I don't do disks anymore):

click >>> iDVDmodding

glad, I could help you.-

enjoy movie making! 😁

Apr 9, 2013 12:51 PM in response to lindafromfife

Karsten, many thanks for all of your information about iDVD software and other options! You are filling a huge information gap that Apple has left us with regarding the creating of optical media.

I have a question about disc burner capatibility that I have not found answers to in days of Internet searches. I hope you could help.

I have a new iMac that came without a SuperDrive. Fortunately I do still have my old iLife disc so I have installed the iDVD application and I can now try some of the other software you suggested. So I'm set from a software application point of view. I now have to decide what external optical disc-burner to purchase and I'm worried about compatibility with the different applications. Here's my wish list for the drive:

• I would greatly prefer to buy a burner that can create both Blu-ray and DVD discs (such as the Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD Blu-ray Writer Drive)
  • I would like to be able to use iDVD to create and burn DVD discs on this drive (but I'm concerned that iDVD will not "cooperate" with a drive other than an Apple SuperDrive)
  • I would like to use Toast or Burn to burn Blu-ray discs on that external disc drive

Can you provide any guidance? Thank you.

Apr 10, 2013 3:27 AM in response to lindafromfife

Hi Mr Schluter;

Re iMovie compatible.....I have the latest version of iMac and I'm not sure how to convert the movies to play using the "usb port" on our Bluray player - Panasonic and would picture quality be good enough to screen on our 55inch TV - Sharp Aquos.

I'm desperate to get this working for my baby girl's 1st birthday next month and I would much appreciate your help 😟

Do I need to purchase iLife and iDVD? Can you help me pretty please 😕 😢

Look forward to your positive respond.

lbelle

Apr 11, 2013 11:21 PM in response to lbelle

Hi lbelle,

you've posted in another ones, as 'solved' marked thread - lil' chance to find your request here 😉

next time: don't be shy, start your own ....

lbelle wrote:

… I'm not sure how to convert the movies to play using the "usb port" on our Bluray player

I don't either! 😮

two hurdles to go:

• conversion

• 'structure'

conversion

• download and install the free tool MpegStreamclip
  • export from within iMovie, cmd-E, select 720 as size
  • open that file with Streamclip
  • go straight to 'save as' and choose from drop-down 'mp4'

=> such a file should playback on 99% of all actual devices

---------------------------

structure

when I want to playback such a file, via flash-mem-stick, on my son's Playstation3, that stick needs meticulous named folders (for a PS3, it is MOVIES, not Movies, not movie, not ...)

What it is for YOUR device, I don't know, but is probably described in your players manual (??).

if you tell me the precise name/model/number of your device, I could try to google it ......

..... and reg. 'quality':

don't worry, even a shaky, under exposured, motion blurred shot of your girl's smiling is priceless .... 😁

Apr 12, 2013 12:21 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten;

You're awesome and thanks for the tips. The model to my Blu-ray player is DMP-BD85.

I'm a very "new" mac user and so I wasn't sure how to start a new discussion lol.....probably the frustration of getting my daughter movie to play on our screen really got to me lol....

I'll have a go and do the above you've mentioned and also I have the iLife09 software.....so I'll have a go at that too....

Very much appreciate your help. Hear soon.

Apr 12, 2013 4:53 AM in response to lbelle

lbelle wrote:

… is DMP-BD85. …

ahhhh, Panasonic - excellent products (=my recorder, my cams), but, by far, the worse manuals EVER (Pana, are you listening?!) 😁

Its manual tells me (as far as I understand …), via usb stick only divx files ...

that's an older format, which was never fancy on Mac.

other option, you could use that player wireless, by integrating it via wlan in your home-network, plus using some upln-softw.... still aboard? 😉

----------------------

no, I very much recommend to invest another 99$ into an AppleTV box, connect to your TV, 'connect' to your Mac, and do it the easy, Apple way.......

divx needs installing of 'components', which could interfer with other parts of theMacOS, BluRay asks for soft- and hardware for another 200$, .... I don't participate from recommending it, but that shiny black box AppleTV is worth every cent! After drop-dead-installing, you access your homevideos (and much more) on your telly - awesome.-

… or, forget HDef, and create a videoDVD, using one of the methods mentioned in the link above (iDVD allows 'nicer' disks).-

Apr 12, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten;

Man you rock with all the techno knowledge you have.....I tried that MpegStreamclip and didn't work lol however I'm not giving up and I don't want to invest on an AppleTV box (as yet).....eventually I'll get there with all this fantastic AppleMac technology and keep up with the (expensive) latest out there 😉

If worse comes to worse, I'll take my appleMac downstairs to play it straight from the computer - my baby girl's video on her birthdate.

Meanwhile I have the option of iDVD to try and I'm happy to go with a videoDVD :-) here's hoping it will work!

Thank you so much I appreciate all the help you have given.

I'm also checking out your sight about the "SlickFX" software lol yeap I wanna go there :-)

Cheers bro.

Lbelle

NewZealand.

How do I move my movie to a dvd as I do not have a iDVD on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.