Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you FTP from Aperture

Now with the disappearance of a live download for UberUpload is their a credible way to now FTP from Aperture?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 13" 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 9:25 AM

13 replies

Mar 27, 2013 9:39 AM in response to bigcontainer

In order to FTP, you need files. Aperture stores your Originals, Previews (if they exist), and a text file called a Version. It does not store rendered files of your Images. (It makes these only as-needed. When you need one to use with other program, you make it using "File➞Export➞Version".)

So the first question is: what files do you want to transfer?

If the host does not provide an Aperture Plug-in, you have to either create or select the files you want to transfer, and then us an FTP program to transfer (upload) them. There are many excellent FTP programs for OS X.

You basic workflow is to select Images, create files by exporting, then use an FTP program to transfer the files.

Mar 27, 2013 11:14 AM in response to bigcontainer

What I do is create a favorite for the server I whish to upload my images in my FTP client, Transmit 4. Transmit has a feature that allows you mount that favorite server point as a volume (like any other attached drive) ... Then you can export your images to that server directly fro Aperture without having to go through the step of exporting the images, then opening your FTP client and uploading the images. It is all done on the fly behind the scenes ...

Mar 27, 2013 2:09 PM in response to bigcontainer

It's highly unlikely this functionality (ftp'ing) will ever be built into Aperture, it wasn;t in the past. If it doesn't come as a plugin it won;t come.

Having said that ButchM's solution, or something similar using a different ftp program or a script is as one step as a plugin. You had to select and prepare the images to ftp using a plugin, not really any different here.

Where do you want to ftp to? With a better understanding of your workflow a better solution might be suggested.

regards

Mar 27, 2013 2:19 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

It's highly unlikely this functionality (ftp'ing) will ever be built into Aperture, it wasn;t in the past. If it doesn't come as a plugin it won;t come.

Not quite true ... or how do you explain the capability of uploading images to Flickr, Facebook or Photo Stream ... that is accomplished via FTP ... all that is missing the ability for the user to designate a custom destination ... shouldn't have to come down to third party option ... There is plenty of features in Aperture 3 that were not part of earlier versions ... that is the whole point of application development ... new and/or improved features ... FTP export would be a very popular capability with a great number of Aperture users ...

Mar 27, 2013 2:47 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank, as an initially high volume photographer of sporting events I moved to Apple computers to get onto the Aperture train. Nothing came close to the stability and workflow of Aperture 1.

Nowadays, I move between PhotoMechanic 5 and Aperture 3. When I don't have too much time to deal with editing images, but need lots of captioning I use PhotoMechanic. When I do have a little more time to edit the images, and don't need such comprehensive captions, I use Aperture. The access to such a complete photo-editing-eco-system, where previewing and editing are in such a tightly integrated workflow. I love the fact I can just add a single action to a whole folder of images and then sort out the ones that need a final help with the final edit.

Someone last week reminded me just how good Aperture 3 is; and I decided to try and give it a go again. I was sad to see that UberUpload no longer was available/working as I don't necessarily want copies of the images sat on my machine, which is basically what happens if you have to place into folders, to facilitate other FTP software to suffle the files around for you.

I have had FlickrUpload right from the start - and when I moved onto proper FTP servers I found it hard to adjust to the fact I had to break the workflow down to achieve the same result.

Mar 27, 2013 3:24 PM in response to bigcontainer

I'm not arguing the benefit of having the capability to ftp from within Aperture.

However that capability was never a part of Aperture but was supplied by a third party plugin. It is to bad the developer of UberUpload for whatever reason decided to abandoned the plugin. I even went so far as to get in touch with them and ask to have the code put into the public domain so it could be continued to be maintained. I never received a reply unfortunately.

So this is where we're at. Right now to ftp images from Aperture requires some work around's. None are show stoppers in my opinion.

If there is anything I can do to help you solve the problem let me know.

regards

Mar 27, 2013 4:58 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

I'm not arguing the benefit of having the capability to ftp from within Aperture.

Then by all means visit here and add your voice requesting Apple add the feature to Aperture:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

To put forth the fact that a feature has not been available in the past ... therefore there is no possibility that it will ever become reality in the future is kind of a defeatist attitude ... and sort of goes against the grain of the evolution of software development.

Adobe offered an FTP export option for Lightroom via their SDK since v2 ... they will likely release v5 late this spring or early summer ... I for one think it's high time Apple gets off their duff and shows a little love for their loyal Aperture users ... at least they could use a small insignificant portion of the $140B they have in the bank for that purpose ...

How do you FTP from Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.