Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Equivalent to "Program Files" folder?

Hello everyone,

I am coming from using Windows for years and soon to switch to mac. I was just wondering what is the equivalent to the Program Files folder found in Windows? After spending some time with osx at a local Apple Store the closest I could find were some folders within the Application folder. But many applications, such as Aperature or Chess, etc. were just the application with no folder that holds the files associated with the program. I just don't thoroughly understand the was osx works and would love to learn more. Thank you very much for any help and insight into this.

Posted on May 22, 2006 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2006 11:20 PM

All OS X applications are normally kept in the Applications folder. There are no extra folders because all applications are in fact "packages" that contain all the support files. Sort of the equivalent of what in Windows is called a "cabinet." If you select an application and right-click (or CTRL-click) to open the contextual menu you will find an option "Show Package Contents" which will open a window on the "package" contents.

There are plenty of good books on OS X at amazon.com. Apple's support site also provides an extensive Knowledge Base of articles and the developer's site will provide access to all the OS X Technical Notes and documentation.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2006 11:20 PM in response to dissolve

All OS X applications are normally kept in the Applications folder. There are no extra folders because all applications are in fact "packages" that contain all the support files. Sort of the equivalent of what in Windows is called a "cabinet." If you select an application and right-click (or CTRL-click) to open the contextual menu you will find an option "Show Package Contents" which will open a window on the "package" contents.

There are plenty of good books on OS X at amazon.com. Apple's support site also provides an extensive Knowledge Base of articles and the developer's site will provide access to all the OS X Technical Notes and documentation.

Equivalent to "Program Files" folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.