Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save multiple files opened in Preview as one combined document

Is there a simple way to save multiple files, opened concurrently in Preview, as one document? The situation is that I opened all my on-line, pdf, monthly cell phone invoice files for 2012 at once, and want to save them in one file as "Cell invoices 2012."

Even though Preview shows them as one file with 12 booklets in the Sidebar, I can't see a way to save them as one big file.

Thanks!

Preview-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 12:04 PM

12 replies

Dec 6, 2014 3:21 AM in response to Jubelation

I agree with laurogers, on 10.9.5, it is not possible to simply drop the files onto the ones you want to combine like you used to be able to. It doesn't seem to matter where you try to drop it (on, above, below), it doesn't work. If you hold the shift key all it does is make a duplicate, and no other key has any effect. It would be handy if someone knew the answer to this one.

Cheers

Mar 28, 2013 12:35 PM in response to Jubelation

I'm not sure what you mean by "create a 'master' document". You can use one of the existing documents as the master, and add the others to it. By dragging thumbnails in the sidebar, as Karen said. To add a new document to the end of the "master", drop the thumbnails from the added document on top of the last-page thumbnail of the master.

Mar 30, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Jeffrey and Karen ... I've used Preview for years but recently upgraded to OS Snow Leopard (I am reluctant to change software!). I used to freely drag and drop pages from the sidebar one pdf file open in Preview to the sidebar of another - as you recommend - without problem. Now if I do that, the caption in the bar at the top of the document says "2 documents, 5 (or whatever) open pages", and I can't save the whole thing as one document - Preview wants to save the tranferred pages as their own document. What has changed? What am I not understanding here?

Mar 30, 2013 7:27 PM in response to Jubelation

The difference is that in Snow leopard (and beyond), Preview can open multiple multi-page documents in one window. If you drop pages in the space below another document's thumbnails, it will simply combine the documents into one window. To combine them into one document, be sure to drop the thumbnails onto the target document. The easiest way to be sure you have it right is to drop right on top of a thumbnail in the target. It works. I've done it many times.

Nov 12, 2014 5:54 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

I currently have a OS X 10.9.5. Previously in older OS versions, I have been able to make master documents like you have instructed. But, in the newest version it will not allow me to drag the thumbnails of one document into the thumbnails of another. Is there a different way to make a master document for the newer version. I cannot seem to figure it out.

Save multiple files opened in Preview as one combined document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.