Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use back to my mac from iOS?

I have enabled back to my mac on my macbook running ML and have enabled the same for my user ID in the airport express router to which the macbook pro is connected.

i would like t know how i can access the shared folder from my ios devices while

• within the wifi network
  • outside the wifi network over the ios devices 3g internet.

tried a lot to figure it out since many months now.

Neerav

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 13 inch, 2.4 Ghz, Mid 2010

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 7:50 PM

The Back to My Mac feature only works on Macs running OS X Lion 10.7.3 or later.

It does not work with iOS devices.

Matt

8 replies

Nov 13, 2013 6:49 PM in response to AceNeerav

Just some additional info. For basic back to my mac to work you need a router (any brand) that supports UPNP or NAT-PMP - or an apple airport router device (Airport Extreme, Time Capsule or Airport Express) (which must be configured as your primary router - and not in "bridge" mode). You need at least two Macs - one in your house - and one as the remote device. You need to set up your iCloud id on both Macs and enable Back to My Mac in iCloud preferences - using the same icloud id for both Macs. You also need to ensure that you have enabled at least "Screen Sharing" in the sharing preferences of both Macs - and optionally enable File Sharing. You will see the Mac in the other Mac's shared pane - in Finder - both locally and remotely.

If you are using an Apple router (airport extreme, express or time capsule) - the icloud id's that you enter on airport device (via airport utility) - are only for the purpose of remote sharing of drives and printers attached to that airport device - and are not related to the back to my mac functionality. If you don't need to remote share the printers or drives directly attached to the airport device (via USB) - then you do not need to enter any iCloud id's on the airport device itself.

For example - you have a time capsule set up as a router. You have 3 people in your house that want to remotely access files on the Time Capsule's drive(s). You would enter your iCloud id, along with the iCloud id's of other household members. You would then all be able to independently share the time capsule drive remotely.

With an Airport Express router - you would only be able to share a USB printer attached to the Airport Express.

As for iPad - there may be 3rd party apps that would mimic the Back to My Mac functionality - but to the best of my knowledge there is no Apple-provided Back to My Mac app for the iPad.

Jun 16, 2016 3:11 AM in response to Dutchboy777

Google now make Chrome Remote Desktop, an app that allows this (though security risks may concern you).

It's ridiculous that my (very expensive) iPad Pro can't do it, just as it can't connect to a portable HD, and half the time the internet seems to think I'm on a mobile phone, and don't even get me started on the pencil! 😉

Sep 15, 2016 12:28 PM in response to AceNeerav

Many obvious reasons why this would a great function. But most mostly, a marketing point of view (if you're listening Apple) iPad Pro's are presented as a "computer", suggesting an alternative to a macbook. Right? I'm thinking that would work for me when I'm on the move if.. I could get a hold of my full system easily.

BTW, Anyone know the best way to get apple to listen?

Cause I want to let them know the importance of fine tuning their other core apps. Cal, mail, reminders, photos, music, Back to my Mac.. They are not super complicated software, but they are all slightly incomplete, dysfunctional, unreliable, amateur or toy like, less than premium. Sure there are plenty of third party apps to do all that but then we get cloud and sync issues and most importantly, for you Apple. I can run those other apps and any tablet.

There's nothing really unique in Apple's hardware anymore so a solid core set of OS apps and iCloud function is what I need to see to keep me faithful.

That metaphoric bridge to cross over to the other side has never been less intimidating. Am I right?

I'll probably never go there* and just keep moaning but I'm always the last change and the fact remains.

Unless "there" was somewhere completely new. What if there was a new Unix (or something) OS you could run on any HW dedicated to user friendly? Hey? Hey? Don't fall off the wagon guy's.

Leave your comments at the reply button and don't foget to subscribe and like one another.

Thanks coming and good day good people! x

how to use back to my mac from iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.