Skip navigation

I preferred the old iTunes

352 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 7:44 AM by gail from maine RSS
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 27, 2013 8:41 PM

When I type  the name of an artist in the iTunes' search box, all I want is for all of the songs by the artist in my iTunes collection to be displayed in one continuous list. What I don't want is to be presented with all of the albums in my collection that contain some of the artist's songs. The same applies to song titles. All  I want, the only thing I want, is to be presented with all of the recordings of that song in my iTunes library in one continuous list. Is there some way I can do this with the lartest iTunes version (I have version 11.0.2 installed)?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Steven Moline Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    Mar 27, 2013 9:23 PM (in response to Niku)

Hate this new interface. Been trying and trying to get use to it but it is not happening.

• gail from maine Level 6 Level 6 (10,075 points)
    Mar 27, 2013 9:41 PM (in response to Niku)

Hi Niku,

Not sure how you are doing the search. Here is a screenshot where I searched for "Angels We Have Heard on High" (sorry - I seem to only have multiple versions of Christmas songs....), that I did under the "Songs" tab. I put the Search Term in, and also, on the dropdown next to the magnifying glass, I selected "Song":

Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 12.33.12 AM.png

Then, I did a search for Bob Seger under "Songs" as well, but on the dropdown selected "All" instead of Artist. The reason I did that was because Bob Seger was either singing with other groups (3 Doors Down), or because the album was some sort of compilation that did not contain his name, the "All" worked better. I think you would want to select the dropdown based on how much filtering you wanted done. Anyway, it gave me the list of all my songs with Bob Seger:

Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 12.38.21 AM.png

Not sure if that was what you were looking for? Let me know if I have completely misunderstood what you were trying to do here!

Cheers,

GB

Mar 27, 2013 10:36 PM (in response to Niku)

So, here's where i'm confused - in your iTunes Music Library under the Songs tab, you put Karen Carpenter's name in, and next to the Magnifying Glass you tried "All" as well as "Artist", and only found the one 40-second recording? Not the song you said was already purchased?

Do you think that aside from the 40-second item, the song you tried to "re-purchase" was actually in your current library? Is it possible that it is purchased, but not downloaded to the library? And would those have been the only two you would have ultimately expected to see?

I'm just curious that you did not get similar results for her name that I did for Bob Seger's name - I mean, not only his own songs showed up, but also a song that he did with a totally different group.....

Just not getting why it's not working for you the same way?

Cheers,

GB

Mar 30, 2013 7:30 AM (in response to Niku)

Hi Niku,

Well, I'm just glad that the search worked for you!!! There are several posts on how to downgrade back to iTunes 10. Not sure how difficult or risky (from a music library standpoint) it is, but if you do a search on this site for downgrade to iTunes 10, I'm sure you will be able to find many discussions and suggestions on how to do so!

Best of luck, and thanks for letting me know that your search worked! I'm glad about that for you!!!

Cheers,

GB

Mar 30, 2013 7:44 AM (in response to Niku)

I hear ya on that one.....

Any sort of downgrade is always a bit risky, and usually complicated. I don't use iTunes for a lot of stuff - I mean, I have my iTunes library, of course, and I do purchase stuff, and create all sorts of smart playlists for my various devices - but I don't play music on my Mac or do things directly from the Library very often, so I've not found any issues with the new iTunes (once I figured out how to show the sidebar, that is....). I was very impressed with the improved speed for downloading and for syncing. So, all in all, I am good with it. But I know a lot of people who use it on their computers were not very happy with the new version.

I hope it turns out to be a better experience for you as you get used to it. I do understand the frustration with having to re-learn a bunch of stuff. I just had my entire Microsoft Office Suite upgraded at work, and the 2007 version of Office is radically different than the one I was running on. But little by little, I'm learning to navigate around, and, happily, have discovered some of the really great improvements that come with the upgrade. So, hoping you end up with the same experience with iTunes 11.....

Cheers,

GB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.