Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I preferred the old iTunes

When I type the name of an artist in the iTunes' search box, all I want is for all of the songs by the artist in my iTunes collection to be displayed in one continuous list. What I don't want is to be presented with all of the albums in my collection that contain some of the artist's songs. The same applies to song titles. All I want, the only thing I want, is to be presented with all of the recordings of that song in my iTunes library in one continuous list. Is there some way I can do this with the lartest iTunes version (I have version 11.0.2 installed)?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 8:41 PM

10 replies

Mar 27, 2013 9:41 PM in response to Niku

Hi Niku,

Not sure how you are doing the search. Here is a screenshot where I searched for "Angels We Have Heard on High" (sorry - I seem to only have multiple versions of Christmas songs....), that I did under the "Songs" tab. I put the Search Term in, and also, on the dropdown next to the magnifying glass, I selected "Song":

User uploaded file

Then, I did a search for Bob Seger under "Songs" as well, but on the dropdown selected "All" instead of Artist. The reason I did that was because Bob Seger was either singing with other groups (3 Doors Down), or because the album was some sort of compilation that did not contain his name, the "All" worked better. I think you would want to select the dropdown based on how much filtering you wanted done. Anyway, it gave me the list of all my songs with Bob Seger:

User uploaded file

Not sure if that was what you were looking for? Let me know if I have completely misunderstood what you were trying to do here!

Cheers,

GB

Mar 27, 2013 10:26 PM in response to gail from maine

gail from maine,

This has bothered me for quite some time, but I'll tell you what set me off tonight. I was reading a book about music, and it happened to describe a song by Karen Carpenter. Well, I've always thought that she probably had the most beautiful voice I have ever heard, so I went to the Amazon MP3 downloads section to listen to it. I hadn't remembered the title, but I was familiar with the song, and she was still as beautiul as I had remembered, so I decided to buy it. However, when I clicked on PURCHASE, the screen told me that I had already purchased it. My next step was to put the song title in my iTunes's search bar. It found the song. However, I then wanted to hear all of her songs that I already had, so I put her name in the search bar, but the only Karen Carpenter song that was found was an incomplete 40-second recording of "My Funny Valentine" that I had once recorded in my search for the best version of that song that had ever been recorded. I tried all of the iTunes' categories: songs, albums, artists, genres, playlists, radio, and match, but I only found that song, and only in two of the categories.

That's an example of why I hate the system iTunes now uses. Artwork and albums are very fine in their own way, but I wouldn't miss either if they should disappear from my iTunes library forever. I just want what I have previously described. I want to be able to see with one click all of the songs that I have by one artist, and I want to see all of the versions of a particular song that I have, also with one click. Then there's listening to the songs. I want to be able to listen to all of an artist's songs in my collection with one click. I could do all of this before, but not now. f Im wrong, tell me how to do what I did in the past..

Mar 27, 2013 10:36 PM in response to Niku

So, here's where i'm confused - in your iTunes Music Library under the Songs tab, you put Karen Carpenter's name in, and next to the Magnifying Glass you tried "All" as well as "Artist", and only found the one 40-second recording? Not the song you said was already purchased?

Do you think that aside from the 40-second item, the song you tried to "re-purchase" was actually in your current library? Is it possible that it is purchased, but not downloaded to the library? And would those have been the only two you would have ultimately expected to see?

I'm just curious that you did not get similar results for her name that I did for Bob Seger's name - I mean, not only his own songs showed up, but also a song that he did with a totally different group.....

Just not getting why it's not working for you the same way?

Cheers,

GB

Mar 28, 2013 12:52 PM in response to gail from maine

gail from maine,

I just found, and played, "Superstar" and "We've Only Just Begun," in my iTunes library, but I found them by typing in those titles in the search bar. I haven't found more of her recordings, which surprises me. I can't believe that I would have stopped with only two purchases. They're only $0.99 each. I'll just have to keep looking, or buying. Unfortunately, her catalog of good recordings is not that large, at least of songs that I like. Her voice was beyond compare, but the songs not. I was hoping that she would record an album from "The Great American Songbook," but that was not to be.

I might add that there is a glimmer of hope for this latest version of iTunes. I'm working with someone else here to see if I can do with it what I coud do with the older versions

Mar 30, 2013 6:35 AM in response to Niku

gail from maine,

I admit it when I'm wrong, unless it's just something just too stupid. Well, maybe it was, but I have to admit that I found "Superstars" and "We've Only Just Begun" this morning when I typed in "The Carpenters". I still hate the "new" iTunes format. How new it is, I don't know, but I will change it back to a version I like as soon as I learn how.

Mar 30, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Niku

Hi Niku,

Well, I'm just glad that the search worked for you!!! There are several posts on how to downgrade back to iTunes 10. Not sure how difficult or risky (from a music library standpoint) it is, but if you do a search on this site for downgrade to iTunes 10, I'm sure you will be able to find many discussions and suggestions on how to do so!

Best of luck, and thanks for letting me know that your search worked! I'm glad about that for you!!!

Cheers,

GB

Mar 30, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Niku

I hear ya on that one.....

Any sort of downgrade is always a bit risky, and usually complicated. I don't use iTunes for a lot of stuff - I mean, I have my iTunes library, of course, and I do purchase stuff, and create all sorts of smart playlists for my various devices - but I don't play music on my Mac or do things directly from the Library very often, so I've not found any issues with the new iTunes (once I figured out how to show the sidebar, that is....🙂). I was very impressed with the improved speed for downloading and for syncing. So, all in all, I am good with it. But I know a lot of people who use it on their computers were not very happy with the new version.

I hope it turns out to be a better experience for you as you get used to it. I do understand the frustration with having to re-learn a bunch of stuff. I just had my entire Microsoft Office Suite upgraded at work, and the 2007 version of Office is radically different than the one I was running on. But little by little, I'm learning to navigate around, and, happily, have discovered some of the really great improvements that come with the upgrade. So, hoping you end up with the same experience with iTunes 11.....

Cheers,

GB

I preferred the old iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.