Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I put an iCloud icon on my desk top?

How do I put an iCloud icon on my desk top? I've signed up for icloud and have a password and email address but I cannot trust the process because I cannot find an easy way to open icloud. There is no icon on my desktop. Ideally I would like it to be in my dock. Please can anyone advise me.

Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 2:11 AM

Don't worry. The problem is that iCloud isn't an app. The only way to access to your iCloud settings is going to System Preferences > iCloud, and tick all the iCloud services you want to use. Then, you can access to your iCloud data on the apps you have ticked in System Preferences; for example, if you ticked "Mail", open the Mail app and you will find your iCloud mail address. If you ticked "Contacts", open the Contacts app and you will see your contacts stored on iCloud (and you can add contacts to iCloud). You don't need an application.

Then, if you want to see your iCloud data online, just go to http://www.icloud.com and log in with your Apple ID to access to your information and to "Find my iPhone"

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2013 2:11 AM in response to anthonyfromknutsford

Don't worry. The problem is that iCloud isn't an app. The only way to access to your iCloud settings is going to System Preferences > iCloud, and tick all the iCloud services you want to use. Then, you can access to your iCloud data on the apps you have ticked in System Preferences; for example, if you ticked "Mail", open the Mail app and you will find your iCloud mail address. If you ticked "Contacts", open the Contacts app and you will see your contacts stored on iCloud (and you can add contacts to iCloud). You don't need an application.

Then, if you want to see your iCloud data online, just go to http://www.icloud.com and log in with your Apple ID to access to your information and to "Find my iPhone"

Mar 28, 2013 1:25 AM in response to anthonyfromknutsford

To open iCloud, you must be running OS X 10.7.2 or later. To set up iCloud on the Mac, open System Preferences > iCloud, type your Apple ID and follow the steps.

If you don't find iCloud on System Preferences, you aren't running a compatible OS X version. If you are running Mac OS X 10.6.8, first check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion > http://www.apple.com/osx/specs If it's compatible, open the App Store and purchase OS X Mountain Lion.

While it's being downloaded, make a backup of your data and check that your applications are compatible > http://www.roaringapps.com When the download finishes, the OS X installer will appear, so follow the steps to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. After upgrading, open System Preferences > iCloud, and follow its steps

Mar 28, 2013 2:09 AM in response to mende1

Thank you for trying to help me. I fear that my problem is too simple to discribe properly. I have the latest OS X.8.3. I am set up with iCloud and I have an ID, Password and an icloud email address. What I do not have is an easy way to open iCloud.

In my Dock I have icons for the most important programmes I access on a daily basis. The less important programmes I open from the Applications folder. I would like to access iCloud from either my dock or my applications folder. (I would prefer the Dock).

There must be a way to achieve what I want but if there isn't then it's good-bye icloud as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to be a pain.

Mar 28, 2013 2:15 AM in response to anthonyfromknutsford

iCloud isn't a program, its an online syncing service. The facilities it provides are accessed through the relevant programs - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, iPhoto. Mail accesses its emails in the usual way; the others update seamlessly so that for example if you add a contact on your Mac it will also appear on the iCloud website and on any other devices you have signed in, such as an iPhone.

The website is available at http://icloud.com. You can provide a quick access from the Dock to that - click on the small icon to the left of the URL in the address bar and drag it to the Desktop. This will produce a .webloc file which when double-clicked opens the site. Place this somewhere convenient, e.g. in your Documents folder, and then drag it to the Dock.

Apr 5, 2016 11:06 AM in response to anthonyfromknutsford

It is much easier than that to use icloud mail.

simply go to finder>applications>mail.app

pull mail.app to all the icons on the desktop

once icon of a stamp shows> open the application then look up top go to mail then scroll to add accounts (skip preferences)

when it opens it says add your provider here: : a list of providers has populated now choose icloud,

then follow all prompts to add your icloud.com account

Thank you

Ronelee55

How do I put an iCloud icon on my desk top?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.