Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual boot drive - Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard - Correct order to load software /apps?

Hi

I want to create a dual boot drive for Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard as some of my hardware (is not supported in Mountain Lion).

I am happy how to do this, I just want to know if there is a correct way to install software and apps.

My plan was to do a clean install of both using two partitions, the larger going to ML and smaller one for SL. I was going to install SL from the DVD and then after updating from 10.6. to 10.6.8 and download ML from the app store and install on the larger partition.

Do I install all the software I use like Final Cut, Aperture, iLife (for Garageband) etc on the ML or SL partition or on both. Also, is there a better way / practise of the order software updates / apps and boxed software should be installed when doing a clean machine install.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 3:07 AM

Just to prevent compatibility problems, I recommend you to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard first with all the applications on it. On Snow Leopard, install only the applications you are going to use with Snow Leopard, not the ones you aren't going to use on Snow Leopard. Also, update Snow Leopard to the most recent version.

After doing that, install Mountain Lion on the other volume, with all its updates and the applications you are going to use on Mountain Lion. As I told you, install on Mountain Lion only the applications you are going to use with it

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2013 3:07 AM in response to AppleMacCider

Just to prevent compatibility problems, I recommend you to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard first with all the applications on it. On Snow Leopard, install only the applications you are going to use with Snow Leopard, not the ones you aren't going to use on Snow Leopard. Also, update Snow Leopard to the most recent version.

After doing that, install Mountain Lion on the other volume, with all its updates and the applications you are going to use on Mountain Lion. As I told you, install on Mountain Lion only the applications you are going to use with it

Mar 28, 2013 3:50 AM in response to mende1

Thanks mende1

So, if I have software I need to use on both ML and SL - for example Final Cut as I have a Canopus AVDC box which is not supported in ML but only SL, do I need to install the same software in both OS?

I usually open apps using spotlight and didn't know if it would software / apps would open if already installed on the other partition?

Thanks again

Matt

Dual boot drive - Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard - Correct order to load software /apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.