Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot install Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my iMac (intel) from 10.5.8 to Snow leopard. My DVD drive does not work so I use my old iBook G4 laptop as a DVD drive connected with a firewire cable. I have had no problems using this previously to upgrade or watch DVDs. But when i try to use the install DVD it comes up with the following message.

The application "Install Mac OS X" cannot be used from this volume.

Please can someone help? Not sure what I need to do.

Regards,

Charly

Mac OS X (10.5.8), also own a ibook g4

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 3:46 AM

14 replies

Mar 28, 2013 4:05 AM in response to charlyw

On your iMac just click the macintosh HD icon, then Get Info and that will tell you the capacity of the drive, space used and space available.

When you used the G4's DVDdrive to install software, were you using it as just another disk drive? With installers for Mac OS X you have to be able to boot from the install disk, not just run the disk. So the first issue is booting the iMac from the disk in the drive of the G4.

Mar 28, 2013 4:12 AM in response to charlyw

I don't know if it's a PPC to Intel problem, but have you done it this way? Old article re. installing Tiger, but the principle is the same. Are you booting the G4 in Target Disk Mode to borrow its optical drive?

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2005/05/the_cats_mustaches_installing.html

EDIT: your last post answers this. I think there's another way to skin this cat, maybe. I have to look.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Mar 28, 2013 4:14 AM in response to charlyw

Ok, plenty of disk space, starting up in target disk mode on the G4 with the install disk in the drive, then go to the iMac and restart holding the Option key. That should bring up a grey screen showing the bootable disks. What you want to see is the Installer disk in the dvd drive of the G4, which you will then click as the boot disk. That is the goal, anyway. See if that works and lets you boot remotely from the DVD.

I cannot install Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.