Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my DVD player/burner stopped working

I have 10.5.8 non-intel and it just ejects every DVD that I put in it. I have an LG Portable external drive, but the CPU only acknowledges it about 7 per cent of the time. Is there a way to de-activate the drive so that the external is more easily recognized, or an affordable brand of external DVD drive that will be more friendly with this mac? Thanks in advance 🙂

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 6:55 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2013 9:40 AM in response to WolveRyan

The first thing I would do is to get and use a dry, brush-type optical drive cleaning disk. I have this one:

http://www.ixos.co.uk/us/ixos-products-detail.asp?PROID=595&Category=20

Very Mac-friendly in its operation. Often a seemingly dead optical drive can be restored to full function with a cleaning. The disks are certainly cheaper than most external drives.

Mar 28, 2013 8:44 PM in response to WolveRyan

I suspect that the external optical drive has a mechanical and/or electronic problem, as opposed to having a compatibility issue with your G5. I've got many different external optical drives/burners (by a variety of manufacturers) and the only problem (if any) with a Mac would be bootability. Reading disks is not typically a problem, and burning disks (with "Toast") is trouble-free. Other World Computing has this external DVD±RW drive, which has every connection option you'd need. If you want a Blu-ray drive, there are a several from which to choose on this page.

There is no way (or need) to disable the internal optical drive with a control panel, as one might do with the Device Manager in a PC or with BIOS settings. The compatibility of the OEM internal drive doesn't diminish the System's capability to recognize an external drive.

my DVD player/burner stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.