Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6.1.3 battery issue

So what's the latest, as of 3/28/13, from official Apple support concerning the battery issues being experienced after the iOS 6.1.3 upgrade?

Or is this being ignored?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 8:14 AM

45 replies

Mar 28, 2013 8:48 AM in response to walsin

There are no battery issues that are attributable to iOS per se. Rapid battery drain can be caused by a number of factors. There was a bug in previous versions that could cause the battery to drain rapidly if the phone was linked to an Exchange account and a problem was encountered with a calendar entry that would cause the phone to continually attempt to sync with the server.

Other common causes are rogue apps, and corruption during installation of iOS or in the backup used to restore the phone.

Mar 28, 2013 10:51 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

There are no battery issues that are attributable to iOS per se. Rapid battery drain can be caused by a number of factors. There was a bug in previous versions that could cause the battery to drain rapidly if the phone was linked to an Exchange account and a problem was encountered with a calendar entry that would cause the phone to continually attempt to sync with the server.

Other common causes are rogue apps, and corruption during installation of iOS or in the backup used to restore the phone.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to 100% disagree with you on this. There is something horribly wrong in iOS since I think the 6.1.2 update that my wife's 4S experiences. She doesn't use exchange so it isn't the exchange bug. She is constantly killing the running processes to make sure that there are no apps running in the background that would eat up her battery. Plus they are all (3 of them) the same apps that she used prior to the updates and they didn't cause the drain.

There is seriously something wrong in iOS that is the problem. I let it update to 6.1.3 last night hoping that it would solve it, but no. It is still having a problem. Prior to these updates the phone had phenomenol battery life, end of the day she would still have like at LEAST 45% available. Now, she has to plug her phone in on the commute home because it is almost dead.

Mar 28, 2013 12:25 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the advice and I'll try it, but I'm still convinced it is a problem with iOS as there are a lot of other people complaining of the same issue not just on iPhones, but iPods and iPads as well. Common demoninator: iOS updated.

Do you know if there is an app that will report what has been consuming the battery? The screenshots below are from an app on my Android phone just to show the kind of data I can get (and I can get way more if I drill down in to it more), I was hoping there was somethign like that for the iPhone so I could help troubleshoot it. See below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2013 8:54 AM in response to KiltedTim

I am experiencing similar issue with my 4s, battery drains like crazy. I have to keep resetting and killing process. None of these are needed before upgrade. I restored it twice already and usually that would be it, but didn't help at all. I resisted upgrade since the last few ones wen so badly. This time I was brave enough to try, and got punished.

It would be insult to injuries to be ignored. Currently the phone is not usable since I need to charge it,

Reset it every few hours.

Mar 30, 2013 3:52 PM in response to Ron Balch

Ron Balch wrote:

Thanks for the advice and I'll try it, but I'm still convinced it is a problem with iOS as there are a lot of other people complaining of the same issue not just on iPhones, but iPods and iPads as well. Common demoninator: iOS updated.

Everyone posting to each of the threads below was convinced it was a problem with their most recent version of iOS, as there were a lot of other people complaining of the same issue. That doesn't make it true, unless every version of iOS since 2007 has had the same bug.

iPhone 4s Battery Life?

iPhone 4S 5.0.1 Update Improves Battery w/ Settings Reset

iOS 5.0.1 - Made my iPhone 4S battery performance worse!

What happened to the battery fix? I have been waiting for tech help since 5:33pm

Battery draining and phone warm

iPhone 4s Battery problem maybe found!!

Battery life/iOS 5.0.1

iPhone 4S battery issue detected (really)

Battery Draining much faster on 4S, what can I do?

Battery Meter/Life Problems with 4.0.2

4.0.2 guzzling my battery. Your's too?

4.0.1 battery life

Battery runs out very quicky in iOS 4.0.1

Battery nearly nonexistant after 4.0 upgrade

Dead battery after few hours on standby using 4.0 software

3.1.3 battery problem

OS 3.1.3 battery issues

3.1.3 upgrade - shortened battery life?

Battery life cut after 3.1.3 update on iPhone 3G

3.1.3 Firmware is a battery killer - how do I back out this upgrade?

Poor battery life with iPhone 3G running 3.1.2

3.1.2 EXTREME battery drain - what gives?

3.1 Battery nightmare

iPhone 3GS with fw 3.1 – battery life gets even worse

Battery Issues with 3.0.1

BATTERY drain with 3.0

upgrade to 3.0 drains my battery

Battery Drain after Update 2.2.1

Battery Life Radically Decreased after 2.2.1 Firmware Update

Apr 1, 2013 12:29 AM in response to walsin

I am using iPhone 4S and it has been working fine, except recently when I upgraded the iOS to 6.1.3 where my battery plays up. Couple of days ago I had 49% charge, but suddenly it shut down and when i tried to start it, I was asked to plug in and charge. Couple of mins later, it showed that I had about 50% charge, and I could log back in.

Today, it went down to 8% and suddenly shutdown again. It used to go down to 1% and then shutdown.

So definitley, it's got something to do with the recent update. Please Apple....fix it...can't live without my beloved iPhone. 🙂

Apr 1, 2013 6:52 AM in response to walsin

I upgraded my iPhone to 6.1.3 last night and the battery drained within two hours. I charged the phone and it drained overnight, don't tell me it is not an issue with the update... I have never had a problem in the past with any updates and I usually have two days of standby time on my phone. I had avoided updates because of the rumour of battery life issues and 6.1.3 was supposed to be the magic fix, my phone is now as good as a paperweight.

Apr 3, 2013 9:46 AM in response to walsin

Tim i think is mistaken.

My iphone 5 was working fine No battery drain at all. I updated to 6.1.2, Then it drained i had installed nothing new. Then i called apple they told me It was an issue with 6.1.2 and they should have an update for it in about a week. then 6.1.3 came out . Still i had added NO new apps to my phone. i updated to 6.1.3 and still have the same issue. I was told deleted exchange, i did not have it set up, EVER and i did a restore and did not use back up

add back all things i had, then did update 6.13 and still my battery drains so .................Just got off the phone with APPLE yet again and was told YET again they are aware of the issues and are working on it.

So don't tell people its not a update issue when clearly it is. If APPLE admits it then why are you here saying its not an update issue. My wife and I had NO issues until we updated to 6.1.2 We have about 30 friends complaining of the same things so Coincidence?? I think NOT and 6.1.3 did NOT fix the issue for any of us.

Good Day Sir

iOS 6.1.3 battery issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.