Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Unlock time

Hi, just over a month ago my iphone 4 contract ran out and i decided to change networks and upgrade to the iphone 5. As i wanted to unlock my old iphone 4 i requested an unlock and received a conformation email from vodafone that this had been completed. 3 weeks later the iPhone is still locked so tried to chase it up however they told me they it was apple taking a long time as they had passed on the request. So just to check I am 'unlocking' in the correct way this is what ive done, restored phone, insterted new sim, then run through the activation process on the phone where it comes up telling me "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone.". As its now been over a month i just wanted to know whether it normally take this long and if not what I should do now.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 9:13 AM

8 replies

Mar 28, 2013 9:25 AM in response to Lexiepex

When the old sim is in the phone it works/syncs perfectly except of course there is no service due to the contract having expired however there is no mention in itunes that hte phone has been/is unlocked and when used with new sim it says its unsupported. I have restored the phone this also didnt result in it becoming unlocked.

When you say call apple, is there a specific number or is it just apple support.

Mar 28, 2013 9:36 AM in response to will220

No, there is no mention in iTunes that the phone is unlocked, before or after it is unlocked.

I don't think that having ended the contract will prevent the unlocking with the old sim card, because the lock file is still in the phone, and that is what will be unlocked.

It is not possible to see yourself in iTunes whether the unlock has been done or not.

iPhone 4 Unlock time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.