Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to play video through HDMI and have the audio via the headphone socket?

I would like to be able to play movies through the HDMI adapter to a projector, but to have the audio via the headphone socket to a separate audio system. What I find is that as soon as I connect the projector via HDMI, the audio via the headphone sockeet is cut off. Any ideas?

iPad, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 4:43 AM

Yes, there is a very simple way to get audio out through the iPad headphone jack even while connected to HDMI to play movies on a projector or TV. In fact, I just did it last night for a presentation.

With the HDMI adapter connected to the projector and your audio jack plugged into your iPad headphone jack, go ahead and start the movie. Then simply unplug the headphone jack and plug it back in. The audio is now routed through the headphone jack again.

I found I only had to do this once per session. That is, Iwas able to stop the movie, go to the beginning of my presentation, wait the 20 minutes for the meeting to begin, and when I got to the video clip the audio still played out through the headphone jack to the PA system.

I had built a presentation in a Web oriented training tool and it was running on Safari iOS7 with the latest update. I have not tried it with Keynote yet.

iPad mini (original version)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2014 4:43 AM in response to Boots09

Yes, there is a very simple way to get audio out through the iPad headphone jack even while connected to HDMI to play movies on a projector or TV. In fact, I just did it last night for a presentation.

With the HDMI adapter connected to the projector and your audio jack plugged into your iPad headphone jack, go ahead and start the movie. Then simply unplug the headphone jack and plug it back in. The audio is now routed through the headphone jack again.

I found I only had to do this once per session. That is, Iwas able to stop the movie, go to the beginning of my presentation, wait the 20 minutes for the meeting to begin, and when I got to the video clip the audio still played out through the headphone jack to the PA system.

I had built a presentation in a Web oriented training tool and it was running on Safari iOS7 with the latest update. I have not tried it with Keynote yet.

iPad mini (original version)

Jul 19, 2014 7:48 AM in response to danielvvieira

Only just spotted your question.

I had this problem.

It depends on the order in which you plug in the video and audio plugs.

I can't remember which way round it is now, but just experiment.

I suspect that, reading Joseph Corl's reply above, you plug in the audio connection after the video.

You don't need to start your movie first.

It will work.

All the best

Is there a way to play video through HDMI and have the audio via the headphone socket?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.