Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressed H.264.mov format not recognized in DVD pro?!

Hi,

I just compressed my 12 minute HD film using the "create a DVD" 90 min HD setting in compressor. That resulted in two files, one is a Dolby Digital Professional 2.0.ac3 audio file and is recognized in DVD pro, while the other is the video file H.264 6.75Mbps.mov.

Here are the video file specs:

Quicktime movie
615.6 MB on disk
Dimensions:
Codecs: H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
Dimensions: 1920 × 1080

Audio channels 2

I tried using the regular 90min setting but I was seeing a loss in quality. I'd like to burn a good quality dvd using the compressed files, but I can't import the video file into DVD. I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions. Thank you so much! 🙂

Final Cut Pro 7

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 1:49 PM

4 replies

Mar 28, 2013 2:18 PM in response to ResilientRose

Unfortunately the preset you picked is the obsolete HD DVD standard. Virtually no one will be able to play it because they stopped selling the players years ago. Now you could use DVDSP to author a DVD in this format, but first you have to make sure the DVDSP project settings are correct. (But unless you and your intended audience have the correct players, there's not much sense in proceeding.)

Your alternatives are SD DVD or Blu Ray – actually, with DVDSP, the only other option is SD DVD.

Compressor can make a very simple one track Blu Ray, which, however, will look great.

If you want something a little more elaborate, try Roxio Toast.

If you want full pro leve authoring, you'll need Adobe Encore (if you want to stay on the Mac).

Good luck.

Russ

Mar 28, 2013 2:52 PM in response to ResilientRose

The conversion in scale from 1080 to 480 is probably the most frequent cause of quality dissatisfaction. Because you are inputting a 1080 file, Compressor will automatically turn on Frame Controls (which is accessed via the Inspector). Open Frame Contols. IMO, the Resize Filter should routinely be set to Best for jobs like this.

Also in the Inspector, go to Encoding>Quality and check the bit rate is set to 7.7 Mbps. If it is (and it should have defaulted to that rate, leave it unchanged.

Open Preview and mark in and out points for a short representative section of your movie. Then submit.

In DVDSP open up Preferences and verify that your Project Setting is SD DVD. Verify in General that display mode is 16:9 Letterbox.

Bring the two files into DVDSP. Use the Graphical view to delete the menu icon. Control click on the Track icon and select First Play. Build and then either waste a blank DVD-R or use and reuse a DVD-RW for the quality test. Then Format. When the DVD has been burned, evaluate by playing from your player to your TV.

Hopefully you'll like the result and can then proceed to complete the full project.

Russ

Compressed H.264.mov format not recognized in DVD pro?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.