9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 1:16 PM by Don Roedl
Media52 Level 1 (0 points)

I have set up users and groups in workgroup manager and assigned permissions to share points in server admin on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 server. Users are logged into the server with their account ID and password, which should limit their access to the permissions assigned to them or their group, but every user who logs into the server is being logged in as "unknown" with read & write privileges.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • Don Roedl Level 2 (210 points)

Are you using open directory with user home folders or just mounting shares over AFP? When you refer to the account ID login, you are referring to their user name, correct?

• Media52 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm just mounting shares over AFP. Users are set up in Workgroup Manager, but are not assigned home folders. The login account ID is the user name that's been set up in Workgroup Manager.

Ok. Are you using access control lists?

Yes. I've included three screen shots of the access control lists for the Sys-Systems Server.

The first screen shot (System Server Access 1) is the file share permissions set up in Server Admin.

System Server Access 1.jpg

The second screen shot (System Server Access 2) is the way the permissions appear in the Info screen on the server.

System Server Access 2.jpg

The third screen shot (System Server Access 3) is the way the permissions appear in the Info screen on my computer.

System Server Access 3.jpg

So which group are the users a member of?

Currently, I'm logged into the server as Administrator. I've tried several different permission configurations, including adding my user to the permissions list and adding different groups to the permissions list. It doesn't seem to matter how I set up the permissions list, whenever I mount a server on my desktop (or the desktop of any user), it always show that I'm logged in as unknown.

Ok. There is a folder in your first screenshot that is highlighted gray, but just out of view in the hierarchy, to the left of the 'Sys-Systems Server' folder. What are the permissions on that folder?

That folder is not shared and the permissions are not propogated. Each of the folders in that list is not shared, but each contains shared folders/servers for specific departments.

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 1.34.55 PM.jpg

So this is a different set up then I am used to. Help me understand your method. How does one of your users, lets say John Smith, access the shares inside the Sys-Systems Server share? Does he mount the share as Administrator? Do you want him to have access to all of the shares inside that shared folder?