Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I "clean install" OSX on a different partition of the same HDD?

Hi, my MacBook Pro needs a clean install, I've trasfered all my data with TimeMachine on 4 different computers, but this time I want to do a clean install.

I don't have time move everything at once and I need to use the current configuration daily for work.

Can I split the main HDD in two partition, clean install OSX in a new partition and chose each time with wich partition I boot the system?

The idea is to transfer information little by little.

Macbook Pro late 2011 with OSX 10.8.3

16 GB RAM

1 HDD 320GB

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 12:59 PM

Of course. After installing OS X in the new volume, your computer will start by default in that volume. If you want to start in the other volume, just hold the Option (Alt) key while your computer is starting, and choose the other volume

9 replies

Mar 28, 2013 1:40 PM in response to pietrociao

I recommend you to give the definitive size you think you will need to both partitions.

An example: you have created the second volume, and you have also the first volume. If you want to resize the first volume and reduce its size to add the space to the second partition, you will have problems because Disk Utility won't allow you to add it. That's why you should give to each volume the definitive size

Can I "clean install" OSX on a different partition of the same HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.