Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded file from internet and now I can't find it

So my dumb *** 😟 downloaded a file from the internet today from an untrusted source and now I can't find it anywhere except for when I click on the downloads button on the safari web browser (i.e. User uploaded file)

I clicked on the file it shows that I downloaded and this pops up

"Safari can’t show the file “4-More-PeopleAreUsingCellPhonestoListentoOnlineRadioinTheirCars.xlsx” in the Finder because “4-More-PeopleAreUsingCellPhonestoListentoOnlineRadioinTheirCars.xlsx” has moved since you downloaded it."

I looked for it in the finder window under the "downloads" folder, looked under "All my files" sorted it by the date added, clicked on the magnifying glass next to the only place I can see it User uploaded file and the file still didnt show up in finder.

help, anyone?

I'm running mountain lion on a mac book pro and am but a mere seed in the red wood forest of all the trees supporting this site.

Random fact of the day: I come to this site often and it has proven itself more than useful but have never posted up a discussion board before so this is my first, hope the screenshots help.

<Edited By Host>

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 12:54 PM

9 replies

Mar 28, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Eustace Mendis wrote:

Do you have Microsoft Excel on your Mac? That is an Excel format file. Could it have ended up in your Documents folder? MS apps will often send stuff there.

I dont have Microsoft Excel, possible to find it without it? I searched in "All Documents" and only two folders pop up with contents that were already in there.

I definitely want to delete it at this point, any code i could type inside terminal to delete the file?

Alternatives?

Thanks for the response Eustace

Mar 28, 2013 2:33 PM in response to Aquino27

OK. I downloaded the file. It ended up on the desktop - as it is supposed to since that is my instruction to Safari - and I opened the file with Excel.

It consists of this priceles gem of information. That's it, nothing else.

More People Are Using Cellphones to Listen to Online Radio in Their Cars

Percentage of Cellphone Owners Who Have Listened to Online Audio in a Car by Listening to the Stream from a Cellphone Connected to a Car Stereo

Source: Arbitron, "The Infinite Dial 2011," April 5, 2011.

Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism

2012 State of the News Media

I have no idea why it disappeared from your Mac. But I trust this reassures you there does not seem to be anything malicious about the file.

You might want to search on your Mac using some of the key words in the file.

Mar 28, 2013 10:08 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Eustace Mendis wrote:

OK. I downloaded the file. It ended up on the desktop - as it is supposed to since that is my instruction to Safari - and I opened the file with Excel.

It consists of this priceles gem of information. That's it, nothing else.

More People Are Using Cellphones to Listen to Online Radio in Their Cars

Percentage of Cellphone Owners Who Have Listened to Online Audio in a Car by Listening to the Stream from a Cellphone Connected to a Car Stereo

Source: Arbitron, "The Infinite Dial 2011," April 5, 2011.

Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism

2012 State of the News Media

I have no idea why it disappeared from your Mac. But I trust this reassures you there does not seem to be anything malicious about the file.

You might want to search on your Mac using some of the key words in the file.

Not that I am denying the results but out of curiousity how did you manage to download and locate the file when I didn't provide you with the website from which I downloaded it from?

The thing is, what I supposedly downloaded wasn't supposed to be an xlsx file nor any type of text file for that matter. I got it from a website called ryushare.com.

I also tried to search for it with the use of the key words in the file you found and no luck. Any way to know for a fact it's not going to affect my computer? Also, any way I can look for the file and delete it through terminal?

Thanks again Eustace

Mar 29, 2013 6:18 AM in response to Aquino27

The site from where you tried to download is not the same as where I found it.

I am not familiar with ryushare.com; it seems to be a site where one can upload files so others can share them. My guess is that whoever uploaded it did not do it correctly, or that site cannot handle a .xls file. So that when you tried to download, the process could not be completed.

stateofthemedia.org, where I found the .pdf, appears to be a legitimate site. Thus the downloaded file is very unlikely to be a threat to our computers.

As for why you cannot find it on your computer, another guess: because of a problem with the file, the download was not completed so the file never came to you. The remnant of an aborted download may be somewhere on your computer, but I have no idea how to look for it.

Mar 29, 2013 9:26 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

Wow thank you Eustace, though I can not locate the file still, you definitely helped out in setting my mind at ease. I guess I'll just clear the download section, but again out of curiousity, it is possible for a virus to hide after its been downloaded right?

if you come up with a method of locating a file without being able to see it let me know, Eustace you were a big help thanks man I appreciate your efforrts.

Downloaded file from internet and now I can't find it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.