Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I do a monthly full charge cycle?

Hi guys! I own a 32GB iPod Touch 5th Generation. I have 2 battery apps, Battery Doctor Pro and SYSTEM. Both of them are telling me to do a monthly full charge cycle. I already tried to do it a few times (charging the iPod when there's less than 20% left; or even letting it die completely) but it seems like the battery apps won't detect that I'm doing a full charge cycle.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 11:39 PM

11 replies

Mar 29, 2013 12:08 AM in response to mvck

I have one I bought for Christmas 2009 and it's still running strong on its first battery.

Most importantly, even more so than cycling the battery periodically: don't let them get hot, such as leaving it out in the sun or in a hot car.

Take care of it and they will last a long time.

Don't lose it. Tape your name to the back, and enable "Find my iPod" in iCloud.

And don't drop it in the toilet.

Mar 29, 2013 12:13 AM in response to mvck

Obviously the app makers don't know what they're doing. Perhaps they will release an update.

7 to 8 hours is good - basically all day, then charge it over night.

Just use it. Really. The only thing worse than using it to play Angry Birds all day is not using it. Its battery will fail prematurely if you leave it idle for days or weeks at a time.

Mar 29, 2013 12:21 AM in response to mvck

I thought you were going ask about that next. No, it is not possible to overcharge an iPod battery. Its charging circuitry will "fast charge" it for a while, then slowly charge it the rest of the way, then shut off and will not charge any more until it runs down a few percent.

If you disconnect it before it is fully charged that's OK too.

All this is intended to maximize its life so that you don't have to think about it at all. All you have to do is enjoy using it.

Nov 19, 2013 2:53 PM in response to mvck

I just downloaded the Battery Doctor app and was wondering the same thing. Call me a geek but I was excited when I found out that I actually got "Full Charge" counted in my last charge.

What I did was let my iPhone run down to 0% battery and shut down. Then I plugged in and run the Battery Doc app and even after it reached 100% charged, I let it trickled charged for additional 15 min as directed by the app. I got a notification from the app that it is 'fully charged' now and then I unplugged the phone. Right away, the app updated on the calendar with a count that I did a Full Charge.

Give that a try?

How do I do a monthly full charge cycle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.