3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 7:43 AM by léonie
FDmac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi everybody,

I´ve been reading lots of topics about Aperture but I still cannot manage a proper sync between Aperture and my iOS devices. In the iPhone and iPad the image quality of the transferred photos is blurred and I am looking for an easy and quick method to use.

I have thought about two different solutions:

1) Is it possible to increase the preview quality of the albums I want to be synced? I don´t want to have all my photos with a large preview quality, only the few ones I want to have synced with my iOS devices.

2) Create a new library in iPhoto (if I choose the iPhoto library in iTunes the images are transferred with a decent quality, in Aperture is based in the image quality I have chosen as a preview under the preference menu) and then transfer the few albums I want to sync from the Aperture library to the new iPhoto Library.

Any quick and easy solution to copy the chosen albums into the new library with all the information included (tags, faces,...)?

Thanks for any help that will mitigate my actual headache.

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)

In the iPhone and iPad the image quality of the transferred photos is blurred and I am looking for an easy and quick method to use.

How are you syncing? Are you using Photo stream (iPhoto and Aperture: Using Photo Stream) or iTunes Photo Sync ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US )?

Both methods should give you good quality photos on your IOS devices - indeed I am seeing very good quality pictures in my Photo Stream and in the albums synced from iTunes.

If I am looking in my iPod photo cache, I see that all images synced to the IOS devices are at least 2MB in size.

The current setting for the Preview quality is global. You cannot set the Preview quality differently for different projects or libraries. What you could do however, would be to change the setting, recreate previews with different settings for selected images, then change the preview quality back.

And you can prevent selected projects from generating previews alltogether: Use the menu below the cogwheel in the Library Inspector to disable previews for selected projects:

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 09.57.06.png

Regards

Léonie

• FDmac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Léonie for your detailed answer.

I am using the iTunes Photo Sync and the quality of my previews in Aperture is by default half of their size. I do not want to increase the quality to avoid having a larger library and changing back and forward the preferences seems a long process.

I will probably opt to create a second library in iPhoto and import again the photos I want to have in the iPad and iPhone. After all this is Apple, everything seems very intuitive but when you need to do something different you´re stuck. 

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (79,540 points)

I will probably opt to create a second library in iPhoto and import again the photos I want to have in the iPad and iPhone. After all this is Apple, everything seems very intuitive but when you need to do something different you´re stuck.

You could simply export a new Aperture library by exporting an album (or Smart Album) that contains the images you want to sync with "File > Export > Smart album as new library".

Then create high-quality Previews for this new library and open this new Aperture Library in iPhoto.