Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FireWire Short Circuit... Won't power on!!!

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion. One day I went to plug a in a Firewire cable that was connected to a Powermac G4 in Target Disk Mode. (Long Story - Basically the powermac was having the same problem I am now having with MBP) When I plugged it in the Computer Shut down all of a sudden and I swear I started smelling something burning. When I went to turn the machine back on, it gets stuck at the apple logo. I let it go for hours, and nothing. Same thing happens when I try to boot into recovery partition and internet recovery. With internet recovery, it loads the download from the internet, then when it gets to the apple logo, nothing... Just keeps spinning. It won't go into target disk mode or safe mode. I ran /sbin/fsck -fy / and it found a lot of problems. I ran it again and it said everything was fine, but the machine still won't boot... The funny thing is my Windows HD boots fine. I have 2 HD's in this thing. 500gb for Mac, and a Data Doubler with 250gb for Windows. I hope somebody can help me out, I have Tried everything and this thing has lasted 3 years now and my Dad will not buy me a new one. Plus its out of Warrenty so Apple was no help to me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 12:15 AM

My best guess says you're out of luck. You have to be careful of the order in which you connect things with FireWire. Trust me, I've blown out many a port myself. It's just how FireWire is made.

2 replies

FireWire Short Circuit... Won't power on!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.