Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Windows Excel File into a Mac Excel File

I have transferred my Workout Journal spread sheet over from my girlfriends PC (which I use often) . Problem is, I can't access it the file on my Mac in Excel or Numbers. It's currently in .xlsx format, I tried simply renaming as an .xls file but it wouldn't open properly on either application.

How do I convert this file Windows file into a Mac readable file. Thanks

All help appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 5:38 AM

You cannot read Excel ".xlsx" form files using older versions of Microsoft Excel than the 2011 version of Office for Mac or at all in Numbers. You will either have to Upgrade your version of Excel on your Mac to "Office for Mac 2011", OR go back to your girlfriend's computer and resave the file using "Save As ..." and there select the ".xls" compatibility format instead of the default ".xlsx" version that the newer versions of Excel use.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2013 5:38 AM in response to darkhorse85

You cannot read Excel ".xlsx" form files using older versions of Microsoft Excel than the 2011 version of Office for Mac or at all in Numbers. You will either have to Upgrade your version of Excel on your Mac to "Office for Mac 2011", OR go back to your girlfriend's computer and resave the file using "Save As ..." and there select the ".xls" compatibility format instead of the default ".xlsx" version that the newer versions of Excel use.

Convert Windows Excel File into a Mac Excel File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.