Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library

I just bought a MacBook Pro 13 " with retina after being a Windows user. I have got a huge image archive at about 300GB. And I would like to add them to an iPhoto library. But after I formatted the hard drive to Mac format and copied over all the images again, so created the computer a folder for each image with two copies of the image in different sizes. How do I fix this and when I put them into iPhoto so are they copied to the internal disk. I want to keep them on the external as the internal only have 128GB.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 3:52 AM

But after I formatted the hard drive to Mac format and copied over all the images again, so created the computer a folder for each image with two copies of the image in different sizes.

Sorry but I have no idea what you're referring to here.

How do I fix this and when I put them into iPhoto so are they copied to the internal disk. I want to keep them on the external as the internal only have 128GB.

Move your Library to the External:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Then Import them.

Regards

TD

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2013 3:52 AM in response to boax

But after I formatted the hard drive to Mac format and copied over all the images again, so created the computer a folder for each image with two copies of the image in different sizes.

Sorry but I have no idea what you're referring to here.

How do I fix this and when I put them into iPhoto so are they copied to the internal disk. I want to keep them on the external as the internal only have 128GB.

Move your Library to the External:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Then Import them.

Regards

TD

Mar 29, 2013 6:12 AM in response to Yer_Man

There are a folder to every image on my harddrive that contains two copies of the picture in different sizes. I think my PC created this for use as thumbnails to every picture, but iPhoto imports even the two copies and the folders so that I have three copies of every single picture and a lot of folders in iPhoto. Do I have to delete these manually or are there a easier way to delete them?

Mar 29, 2013 12:02 PM in response to boax

You can copy the photos from the PC into a folder on the external hard drive. NOTE: if your photos on the PC are in multiple folder you can keep the folder organization when copying into the PC Photos folder on the EHD. The search will search sub folders as well.

Open the PC Photos folder and type Command+F (Find). Setup the search criteria like this:

User uploaded file

But first determine which is the smallest "original" file size you want to keep and set the XXXX to that. Drag the photos in the search results window to another folder temporarily. Then check the largest of those photos to see if any are the originals you want to keep. Like the old carpenter's adage: measure twice, cut once.

When you've culled out the smaller thumbnail files import the subfolder into iPhoto. Each subfolder will create an Event with the same title as the folder.

OT

iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.