Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any idea why command-shift-delete is not working?

I have had a MacBook Pro for a few years, and recently purchased a new iMac. the iMac arrived, and I transferred everything from the MBP to the iMac using the Migration Assistant. Worked very well, from what I can tell. The only thing I am unable to do is delete using shift-delete and empty the trash using command-shift-delete.

I should also say that I did the initial setup of my iMac with a separate Admin account, then deleted that account to use the old account from my MBP on the iMac. I suspect this is a permissions issue, and I have seen articles that suggest deleting this trash account and letting OS X recreate.

Any thoughts on what else to try?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ineed911

iMac

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 7:29 AM

4 replies

Mar 29, 2013 6:10 PM in response to Ineed911

OK, so I just learned somerhing new - the hard way. On the USB keyboard (purchased with this iMac for the number pad built in) I was using the wrong delete key. I was using the delete (fwd) key and not the actual delete key.

Lesson learned. Thx again for the response, baltwo - I looked at your level/points and knew it had to be something on my end.

Mar 29, 2013 5:56 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo - I acknowledge that I wrote this incorrectly as shift-delete. That said, I am unable to delete a file/folder using command-delete. Also, unable to empty the trash using command-shift-delete.

I had already tried resetting my keyboard shortcuts, and this did not help either.

And these shortcuts worked on my MBP prior to the migration.

do appreciate the reply and attempt.

Any idea why command-shift-delete is not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.