Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safe Boot seems to have broken my W7 Bootcamp partition

MacBookPro Retina

OS X 10.8.3

BootCamp with Win7

Parallel's VM 8 using BootCamp Partition

This morning I was looking at my logs, and I saw a minor odd recurring error with a Spotlight process, so I Googled it, and found that I could fix it by doing a Safe Boot. So I shut down my running programs, and I did a SHUTDOWN on my Parallel's Windows 7 VM (running from my BootCamp partition). I performed the Safe Boot, OS X came up, and everything seemed fine until I tried to start a Win7 VM using Parallels. When I did that, I got a white progress bar that said "Windows is loading files", and then the WIndows Splash screen, and then the Windows startup recovery tool. The tool found no errors and so was unable to repair anything, so I closed everything, and rebooted into BootCamp mode, and I found the same sequence of events, but this time the startup tool said that it had repaired Windows and then it rebooted. But again the system went into startup repair mode, but it found no errors. Now, each time I boot to BootCamp Win7, the white progress bar is displayed, the startup recovery runs, but it finds no errors, fixes nothing, and then shuts down, only to recur again. I can F8 into the Windows boot menu, but any choice that I make (safe mode, reovery mode, etc.) gives me the white progress bar with the "Windows is loading files" message, and then the startup recovery tool. I can boot into OSx, and I can see all of the files on the BootCamp partition, but I can't boot to it.

What did Safe Boot do to my Windows boot process? How can I fix this? Thanks.

Mike

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Parallels Virtual Machine and BootC

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 7:59 AM

There are no replies.

Safe Boot seems to have broken my W7 Bootcamp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.