Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any idea's on this? Boot proces stops/hangs.

Hello,

can somebody shed a light on the following?

Or give a hint how to proceed as I have no other ideas as to what is the cause of the problem I have since a couple of days with my MacBook Pro.

First some information:

MacBook Pro 13" early 2011.

OSX 10.8.3 (no pending updates).

8Gb Memory (Samsung)

Crucial m4 512Gb SSD, firmware 040H.

My MacBook Pro worked fine. Once/twice a week, I leave it on over night (with all applications closed) to allow Time Machine to make a backup.

I use 500Gb 2,5" USB drive for TM to backup on. I've been doing this from the day I bought my Mac (March 2011).

The last update I performed was a couple of weeks ago.

I upgraded the firmware of the Crucial SSD from 010G to 040H.

My MacBook worked fine after the upgrade.

Two days ago, I left my MacBook on overnight to allow TM to back it up.

Next morning I unmounted the USB drive and shut down my MacBook.

That evening, I turned on my MacBook, I heard the 'BOING' startup sound , the light grey background with dark grey Apple logo appeared as well as the 'spinning clock'. And that was all. The 'clock' (wheel as you wish) kept on spinning, but the boot proces didn't continue.

Turned the MacBook of by pressing and holding the power button and then turned it on another three/four times.

Everytime the same situation.

Booted the MacBook in verbose mode (<CMD> <V> pressed during boot) and the last messages being displayed were the check of the internal disk (which completed successfully) and the last line being displayed:

AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized

Searched this forum and found several others having the same problem (boot proces hanging).

I tried all the hints I found:

Step 1:

Booted from a USB drive (in which I have the original disk my MacBook came with installed) with OS 10.6.8.

Emptied (from the internal SSD) the folders:

/Library/LaunchAgent

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/StartupItems

and rebooted from the SSD. Still same problem. Rebooted from USB drive, renamed above directories (gave extension '.old') and rebooted again from SSD.

Still same problem.

Connected my TM backup drive and startup up in recovery mode.

Started DiskUtility and verified the SSD. All fine.

Did a repair of permissions. DiskUtility found some issues and repaired those.

Rebooted, still same problem.

Found, in another discussions, that the internal trackpad could cause the problem due to bad connection of the flat cable to the motherboard.

Opened my MacBook, disconnected and connected th cable again. No signs of bent pins or short circuiting seen BTW.

Boot, same problem.

Booted in recovery mode again (TM drive connected) and decided to restore the entire drive from my TM backup.

Restore went perfectly and my MacBook worked fine again!

Started Aperture, Mail, all fine. Started the AppStore and checked for possible pending updates, nothing found.

Trackpad and keyboard worked perfectly.

Kept the MacBook on for three to four hours, still running fine.

Then I shutdown my MacBook. Waited a minute and turned it on again just to find out that I had the same problem again . . .

Booted in verbose mode and saw the same messages as before.

Turned it off, connected the USB drive with OSX 10.6.8 and booted from it and the MacBook works fine.

Now I'm a bit stuck how to proceed. I assume it is save to say there is no hardware problem as the MacBook works fine when booting 10.6.8 from a USB drive and it also worked fine from recovery / complete TM restore etc.

The problem re-appears after a shutdown.

The Crucial SSD seems to work fine as well (otherwise it would have turned out during the restore, wouldn't it?)

Besides that, the MacBook has worked fine for several weeks with the latest firmware.

So is it a bug in OS X or some other application? If so, after the restore I have had :

Aperture

Mac Mail

AppStore

Finder (of course)

SMC FanControl

Intego Virus Barrier

started, nothing else.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you have a Crucial SSD installed or not (so I can rule out the Crucial as possible cause).

I will try to downgrade (if possible) my Crucial SSD firmware from 040H to 010G. See if this helps but, to be honest, I doubt if it is the Crucial M4.

Any hints/tips are welcome.

Kind regards,

emeu1

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8.3

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 11:18 AM

Anti-virus programs have been causing a lot of problems.

Try booting into the Safe Mode. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

If it starts normally in the Safe Mode, try uninstalling Intego Virus Barrier.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2013 11:18 AM in response to emeu1

Anti-virus programs have been causing a lot of problems.

Try booting into the Safe Mode. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

If it starts normally in the Safe Mode, try uninstalling Intego Virus Barrier.

Mar 29, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello Eric,

thanks for your reply.

I could boot into safe mode, however, the boot proces still stops at the same point.

I've tried all the steps in Apple's article but it didn't help.

I also downgraded the firmware of the SSD to 010G.

Didn't help either.

I've visited Intego's website on how to uninstall Virusbarrier Plus.

It can only be done (as far as I have found) using the Virusbarrier Installer.

However, as I cannot boot from my drive, that isn't an option.

If I had a manual uninstall instruction, I could boot from the USB drive with 10.6.8 and do the uninstall myself.

I removed the virusbarrier.app file from the Applications folder but that also didn't solved the problem.

I think I have no other option than to completely re-install / restore OSX once again and then immediately remove Virusbarrier and hoping that that will solve the problem.

If you, or anyone else, has other tips, I'm glad to hear them.

Kind regards,

emeu1

Mar 29, 2013 2:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello Eric,

thanks again for helping me.

I've downgraded the firmware to 010G, tested again, no change.

So upgraded the firmware again to 040H.

Did a repair permissions with Disk Utility (booted in recovery mode).

And did a verify disk (as mentioned in your first link).

Didn't help.

I'm now restoring my entire disk from TM as I know from the previous time that my MacBook will then run as long as I don't reboot it. This will take approximately 7 hours.

It's late already here in the Netherlands so I will let it run overnight and report tomorrow how it went.

I will remove VirusBarrier Plus and other software that's not important for me (such as SMC fancontrol) after the restore is done see if that helps.

If not, will follow your 'Resolve (2) / (3) links.

BTW: you can find more info about SMC Fancontrol here if you're interested:

http://www.eidac.de

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

emeu1

Mar 30, 2013 8:57 AM in response to emeu1

Hello Eric,

well, it turned out to be the virus scanner (Intego VirusBarrier Plus).

Bought it from the AppStore in the time I had OS X 10.6.8 on my MacBook.

Strangely enough, the AppStore reported no updates for VirusBarrier Plus.

If I started VirusBarrier Plus, only pattern files where updated, no mention / warning / message that the version I was using is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

The version number displayed was also different from the version Intego mention on their website in the compatibility overview. Only after I started the VirusBarrier installer (to remove VirusBarrier Plus), an other version number was displayed (the version number in the table on Intego's website).

As I then also read a review on the dutch AppStore for VirusBarrier Plus in which someone reported almost identical problems I had, it became clear that VirusBarrier Plus must have caused the troubles.

I've done a clean install, now using Migration Assistant to transfer my files and settings back from my Timemachine backup. Hopefully everything works fine again then.

Thanks for helping me!

Kind regards,

emeu1

Any idea's on this? Boot proces stops/hangs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.