Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi not connecting to Preferred Networks

Ever since I upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8.3), my Wifi does not automatically connect to my preferred network.

Back when I had Snow Lepord, I created Location profiles and would simply switch from one location profile to another depending on where I was working that day and it automatically connected to the network I wanted.

But now my computer does not do that anymore and it connects to the first open network in the area, and I made to I left the "Remember networks this computer has joined" check box unchecked.

The preferred wireless router we want to connect to only has WEP enabled.

my friends macbook pro, macbook air and macbook pro with retina all do the same thing to and there has been no change to the wireless networks in the office we work in either.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 10:24 AM

3 replies

Mar 29, 2013 11:32 AM in response to isthisseattaken

Maybe this will help. If you monitor the "More Like This" box (top right), other threads appear. Opening them usually displays other threads.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4830500?answerId=21318491022#21318491022

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues in OS X

Wireless Connection Problems - Fix

Choose Preferred WiFi Network

You can also try deleting and then adding back the network.

Mar 29, 2013 2:52 PM in response to isthisseattaken

Back up all data before you do anything else.

Step 1

If you haven't already done so, reboot the router and try again.

Step 2

Check the router's settings to make sure that it's configured as a DHCP server, and also make sure that you have one and only one such server on the network. For example, if your broadband device and your wireless access point are separate, one of them should be set up in bridge mode. If other wireless clients on the same network are working normally, you can probably skip this step.

Step 3

Try this step only if you have a third-party router (not an Apple AirPort or Time Capsule.) Click the Advanced button in the Network preference pane, then the TCP/IP tab. Type something (anything, as long as it's unique) in the DHCP Client ID text box. Click OK, then Apply. Reopen the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP lease. If there's no change, go to the next step.

Step 4

Make a note of all your settings for Wi-Fi in the Network preference pane, then delete the connection from the connection list.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the page that opens.

In the keychain list, an item named "System" should be listed. If it isn't, select File Add Keychain from the menu bar and add the following:

/Library/Keychains/System.keychain

Now search in Keychain Access for the name of the wireless network ( not the name of the router.) Double-click one of the items and check the box labeled Show password in the inspector window. You'll be prompted for your keychain password to confirm. Make a note of the network password. Then delete every "AirPort Network Password" in the search results. Quit Keychain Access.

Go back to the Network preference pane and recreate the Wi-Fi connection with the same settings as before. You do this by clicking the plus-sign icon below the connection list, and selecting Wi-Fi as the interface in the sheet that opens. Select Join other network from the Network Name menu, then select your network. Enter the password when prompted and save it in the keychain.

Go back into the TCP/IP tab to see whether you now have a valid IP address (one not beginning with 169.254.) If you don't, try again to renew the DHCP lease.

Wifi not connecting to Preferred Networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.