10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 8:16 PM by Frank Caggiano
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Why am I now seeing the following message on my screen, and what can I do about it?

"You can't use this version of the napplication 'Disk Utility.app' with this version of OSX. You have 'Disk Utility.app' 11.5."

I am using OS 10.8.3.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7 (20,905 points)

Are you launching it off an older boot driver or something?

The current version of Disk Utility with 10.8.3 is Disk Utility version 13.  Unsure where that old version came from.

You may wish to run the 10.8.3 Combo updater.

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

William Lloyd wrote:

Are you launching it off an older boot driver or something?

No. I can't think of anything I've done since the last time In used Disk Utility to cause this change.

The current version of Disk Utility with OS 10.8.3 is Disk Utility version 13.  Unsure where that old version came from.

You may wish to run the 10.8.3 Combo updater.

Okay, I'll try that. I don't know where that is at the moment, but I'm sure I'll find it. [Later: Okay, I went to Apple>Software Update. It said, "No updates avaiable". I'll keep looking for other places to update.

• VikingOSX Level 6 Level 6 (9,755 points)

The correct version of Disk Utility for OS X 10.8.3 is v13.

The combo update is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640

William Lloyd wrote:

The combo update is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640

-----

Thanks, I've bookmarked that; but I finally found version 13. I found it because other people on this site have also had the same problem, and their solution was mine. Here's the story: Usually, when I need Disk Utility, I get it as follows: Mac HD>Utilities>Disk Utility. Today I did the same thing, but today I got that errror message. However, after seing other people's experience, I did this: Mac. HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. It was there, and I used it without any backtalk on the screen. Thanks for your help.

That's odd.  I've never seen a "Utilities" folder at the root of the HD.  I only have ever had one in /Applications/Utilities.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,715 points)

There is no Utilities folder at the root level in a standard install of OS X (any version). If you have a /Utilities directory that has an old version of Disk Utilities in it you somehow created that yourself.

William Lloyd wrote:

That's odd.  I've never seen a "Utilities" folder at the root of the HD.  I only have ever had one in /Applications/Utilities.

---

That's what they said in the other case where I learned what to do.

Frank Caggiano wrote:

There is no Utilities folder at the root level in a standard install of OS X (any version). If you have a /Utilities directory that has an old version of Disk Utilities in it you somehow created that yourself.

--

Well, maybe I should be punished, then, but that's where it is.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,715 points)

No you shouldn't  be punished, you should just try to figure out how this happened.

Having a folder appear at the root level of your system containing old versions of software is a pretty big gotcha. For one thing you need root or admin privileges to create a folder there so I would think you'd at least be curious as to how this happened. If you didn't do it someone did and that someone as privileges on your system.