Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility

Why am I now seeing the following message on my screen, and what can I do about it?

"You can't use this version of the napplication 'Disk Utility.app' with this version of OSX. You have 'Disk Utility.app' 11.5."

I am using OS 10.8.3.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 5:00 PM

10 replies

Mar 29, 2013 5:12 PM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:

Are you launching it off an older boot driver or something?

No. I can't think of anything I've done since the last time In used Disk Utility to cause this change.

The current version of Disk Utility with OS 10.8.3 is Disk Utility version 13. Unsure where that old version came from.

You may wish to run the 10.8.3 Combo updater.

Okay, I'll try that. I don't know where that is at the moment, but I'm sure I'll find it. [Later: Okay, I went to Apple>Software Update. It said, "No updates avaiable". I'll keep looking for other places to update.

Mar 29, 2013 6:04 PM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:

The combo update is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640

-----

Thanks, I've bookmarked that; but I finally found version 13. I found it because other people on this site have also had the same problem, and their solution was mine. Here's the story: Usually, when I need Disk Utility, I get it as follows: Mac HD>Utilities>Disk Utility. Today I did the same thing, but today I got that errror message. However, after seing other people's experience, I did this: Mac. HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. It was there, and I used it without any backtalk on the screen. Thanks for your help.

Mar 29, 2013 8:16 PM in response to Niku

No you shouldn't be punished, you should just try to figure out how this happened.

Having a folder appear at the root level of your system containing old versions of software is a pretty big gotcha. For one thing you need root or admin privileges to create a folder there so I would think you'd at least be curious as to how this happened. If you didn't do it someone did and that someone as privileges on your system.

Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.