Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X has gotten incredibly slower

Recently, my FCPX application has been acting really slowly. Whenever I try to start a new project or a event, it would just put me up with the bouncing beach ball of death, and would take a very long time before it even responds.

Also, even after all this madness, it's not over. FCPX would never allow me to actually even start editing. It won't even let me drag a clip in the timeline.

I really don't know what's wrong. I tried reinstalling, and even just restarting the computer, but nothing has resolved the problem yet. FCPX had always worked with me in the past, but suddenly, it's like this.

Anybody knows like a solution or at least anything that would help out? I really need to start a new project, and fast, but this is really getting me into now... 😠

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 3:20 AM

17 replies

Mar 31, 2013 6:02 AM in response to Horace from seoul

Just because the information came from QuickTime doesn't mean it's a QuickTime file. The QT player can open a number of different frameworks including AVI, which is basically a Windows format.

You can optimize when you import media. You have that option in the import dialog or you can optimize by selecting the files in the browser, right-clicking and selecting Transcode Media. This will convert the files to QuickTime using the ProRes codec.

Mar 31, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Horace from seoul

OOPS! . . . . . SORRY TOM!

I think Tom means where did you get the video?

Did you shoot it in a camera or get it from somewhere else. Exactly where, details of camera etc.

Whenever you import footage you can either optimize it during import or later on.

During import you see this window.

User uploaded file

If you select the Transcoding/optimizing box, your video will be converted to ProRes 422 files which are much bigger but which play and edit more easily in FCP X.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

Apr 3, 2013 5:30 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I already tried the new user thing. I had a 'Troubleshooting' account in handy, but this really doesn't work.

I think that it's time to go to the second option. This is just great.

Before I go formatting my computer and reinstalling OS X, could this slowness be because I have a lot of movies that are transcoding and doing other stuff like finding errors? I acutally have more then that 1 clip, I got like 10~20 minutes of raw footage. But I really don't think so, as I waited about 30 minutes after importing all my clips, but the progress bar is still at 7% for transcoding, and nothing has really changed.

Also, could it be because of a corrupted video? Some of my clips don't even play well in VLC, and these could be a problem for FCPX to transcode and find problems.

Final Cut Pro X has gotten incredibly slower

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.