Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to 6.1.3 failed and now the iPad requires a physical connection to iTunes. Should not iCloud be enough? I still have to rely on having a PC around?

Out travelling and the iPad reminded me of an important security update. Went through the update process but it stops with the USB connect to iTunes symbol. Tried hard reset several times, didn't help. I have my backups in iCloud. Weren't the iUnits now supposed to be able to manage without a physical connection to a PC with iTunes?

Also wondering about the update process apple has. Is there no roll-back option after an update? Why not?

Also read another thread here where someone got the answer that the update package downloaded must have been corrupt due to a bad wifi connection, I hope that wasn't a serious answer. When an update is downloaded I hope Apple has an integrity check of the download before the update process continues, this is really back to basics.

Please excuse typos, writing this from an iPhone, small screen..

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, iPad third gen

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 5:19 AM

2 replies

Mar 30, 2013 5:27 AM in response to Gauteb

Gauteb wrote:

Out travelling and the iPad reminded me of an important security update. Went through the update process but it stops with the USB connect to iTunes symbol. Tried hard reset several times, didn't help. I have my backups in iCloud. Weren't the iUnits now supposed to be able to manage without a physical connection to a PC with iTunes?

Sure, but that doesn't mean that if a problem arises that there will be a way to fix it without using come other means. Not really a whole lot different than using any other tech device if problems arise.

Gauteb wrote:

Also wondering about the update process apple has. Is there no roll-back option after an update? Why not?

You would have to ask Apple why they do not allow it.

Gauteb wrote:

Also read another thread here where someone got the answer that the update package downloaded must have been corrupt due to a bad wifi connection, I hope that wasn't a serious answer.

Why is that so hard to believe. An interruption in the download of anything could cause problems. Have you ever tried to download music or a movie - or anything and the download stalls due to a hiccup with the internet connection or maybe even a power outage?

Mar 30, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for the comments Demo.

While I do understand why errors like this can happen I also think that good programming could help avoid problems like this. If you read about the 6.1.3 update it doesn't say anything about the risk of a total crash and that a PC might be needed in the process. Several operating systems have failsafes to recover from system update errors, even Windows have this :)

I know that downloads can fail, often. But downloading a movie or music file is quite different to downloading a operating system security update, adding a security integrity signature to such an update is essential, so that the file can be verified to be complete and not tampered with before it is actually used to update an OS or program. Basics.

Update to 6.1.3 failed and now the iPad requires a physical connection to iTunes. Should not iCloud be enough? I still have to rely on having a PC around?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.