Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac ejects blank DVDs only (plays DVDs, CDs and accepts blank CDs)

I see a lot of threads with a similar theme to my question - but not one that matches it, so have started a new thread.

My iMac will play commercial DVDs, DVDs I have burnt myself and commercial CDs, and will write to blank CD, but ejects blank DVDs (after 5-10 seconds of thinking about it). I have tried a range of blanks (different types and manufacturers). Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm thinking it's a curious software issue as the superdrive is otherwise functioning perfectly.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 7:24 AM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2013 9:22 AM in response to Mike Watkinson

This issue is common and does not seem to be confined to any particular iMac model or Optical Drive brand that is used in them. Although it might help to know what iMac you have, what OS X it is running and what program(s) you are using to burn DVDs...?

1. Try toggling your Blank DVD: Preference, from the current selection to another and then back to "Ask what to do"

User uploaded file

2. Try cleaning the Superdrive with a standard Lens Cleaning Kit.

Example: > Memtek 32020029479 CD and DVD Lens Cleaning Kit: Electronics

3. Try creating either a burn folder (in Finder) or have your finished project ready to burn (in other App's) and force them to ask for a blank Disc.

User uploaded file

4. Then if you still can not use Blank DVDs, contact Apple Support and make arrangments for a service appointment.

see > Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support

Mar 30, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Mike Watkinson

Your superdrive simply can't see that it is a blank DVD or any readable/writeable DVD at all. That means one thing. The DVD drive is failing. You could try a head cleaner or you could replace it or you could buy any brand, Make Model, External DVD drive that connect by USB and use that to burn DVDs.

An external DVD drive does not have to be sold by or have the Apple name on it for it to work on any Mac computer.

Mar 30, 2013 12:48 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks den.thed. It's not possible to try some of your suggestions as the DVD does not stay in the iMac long enough!

Also thanks Shootist007 - I am unsure how it could be a sign of a 'failing' DVD drive, as it performs almost everything it is supposed to. Surely hardware this cheap does not 'degrade' or 'fail over time'? Surely this also rules out dirty lenses?

The iMac was purchased May 2010 and is running 10.8.3 - no fromward updates are available according to Software Update

Slight clarification - it also won't read DVDs burnt in the machine (but does read commercial DVDx)

Anyway thanks for the input, but other suggestions welcome!

iMac ejects blank DVDs only (plays DVDs, CDs and accepts blank CDs)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.