Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep my iPhone or ipad from going to sleep while using airplay to my Apple TV ?, How do I keep my iPhone or ipad from going to sleep while using airplay to my Apple TV ?

With airplay on, how to keep ipad from going to sleep? Same with my iPhone, with airplay steaming to my Apple TV, the phone or ipad will go to sleep. Settings?

Advice welcome.

Thank you for your time, Eric

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 6:06 AM

19 replies

Oct 8, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Manhasbikewillride

After I installed iOS 9 that's when my AirPlay started to turn off after 2 minutes, prior to this update I never had this problem. Whatever I was playing would continue to play after my iPad mini went to sleep. So I don't like the fact that I have to set my sleep mode to never is kind of stupid. I know these posts are old but I'm just trying to find out if there is something else I can do or set.

Mar 30, 2013 7:10 AM in response to Manhasbikewillride

Ok, with auto lock on, airplay stops while app running. When auto lock is set to never, airplay continues. Can airplay or the app be set to run in the back ground so that you may close the screen.

If airplay does not turn off when screen closes, then the app does? If so, how do you keep the app running in the back ground?

Mar 30, 2013 7:12 AM in response to Manhasbikewillride

Yes, that is happening because of the app. Not all apps behave this way. For example, if you use the youTube app with AirPlay the screen will turn off but AirPlay continues. If you use the Netflix app the screen will not turn off and, of course, AirPlay continues.

The best course with the NCAA app would appear to be to supply power to the iPad and set Autolock to never. Turn the iPad screen intensity down.

Aug 30, 2015 1:29 PM in response to houdagm

hi I was having the same problem as everybody else but seem to have found a work around when streaming to Apple TV 3. When you stream what ever and it comes up saying playing on Apple TV press the 2 arrows pointing at each other in the bottom right corner it will pause the movie then press play on your Apple TV remote it will start playing again on a smaller screen press the home button stay on home for about 10 seconds then lock your iPhone bit a pain to have to go through this route but better than keeping your phone on all of the time hope this works for everyone

How do I keep my iPhone or ipad from going to sleep while using airplay to my Apple TV ?, How do I keep my iPhone or ipad from going to sleep while using airplay to my Apple TV ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.