Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to create bootable USB Drive using ML InstallESD.dmg. Keep getting the Disk Utility when I boot from the USB on my mac air.

I've followed the instructions on partitioning/formating a USB Drive (32 GB) as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I then mount the InstallESD.dmg from the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app and set it as the source for the restore with the USB Drive as the destination. The restore appears to work fine, but when I restart my computer and select the usb drive to boot from, I keep getting the Disk Utility.

Thanks

jc

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 2:02 PM

7 replies

Mar 30, 2013 6:24 PM in response to cloryj

No, it just reboots and displays the disk utility. I could have done the same thing using the recovery assistant.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Partitioned 32 GB USB disk with GUID Partition Table option and formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled).

2. Selected the USB drive (not the partition) as the target and InstallESD.dmg under SharedSupport in the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app

3. Click Restore, which takes about 20 minutes.

jc

Apr 2, 2013 6:57 AM in response to cloryj

I also tried to make a bootable usb key with InstallESD.dmg version for 10.8.3 and I have the same problem.

In past with 10.8.1 I made an usb key witout problem, I thing Apple, in the 10.8.3 installESD.dmg has removed something useful for the boot.

I have also tried with Lion DiskMaker but doesn't works with this version of ML.

If someone have same solution I will be happy to read him,

Unable to create bootable USB Drive using ML InstallESD.dmg. Keep getting the Disk Utility when I boot from the USB on my mac air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.