Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text input causing strange characters popup?

Not sure whether this is an iPhone or a Google app question, but considering that Apple forums are 10 times more responsive ...

I have an iPhone 3GS is great condition. Bought it new and never had a problem until today. I sometimes go to a local Vietnamese restaurant for lunch on Saturdays. Before I got out of the car, I thought I'd use the Google search app to look up the correct pronounciation of this dish I want to order. I start typing the name of the dish; bun cha gio. I type the "b" no problem, but as soon as I type the "u" a popup window appears showing a half-dozen variations of the shape of the letter u. Maybe you've noticed that letters from the English alphabet often have strange shapes in countries outside the U.S.? That's what I'm getting.

If I ignore it and try to type the "n" then all of the sudden, the app generates multiple instances of the letter u and I have "buuuu" The instant I type the backspace key, it keeps on deleting all the characters, as if I'm holding down the key (no I'm not) until the field is blank and I'm back to the starting point. Five minutes of battle with the device and I realize I can't control it. After lunch I got the iPhone out and tried to find something in Settings that might cause this. No luck. Yes I keep my software updated. Tips?

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 1:42 PM

okieseeker wrote:

as soon as I type the "u" a popup window appears showing a half-dozen variations of the shape of the letter u.

That is normal behavior if you hold your finger on any vowel key. The rest seems weird. Try rsetting your device.

2 replies

Mar 30, 2013 6:12 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Update: My brother who does telephone tech support for smartphone users (but not Apple) suggested I backup the entire phone, wipe it clean and re-install.

Seemed extreme, so instead I powered it completely off. After turning it back on, I was still getting some odd behavior like sluggish response etc. Just for grins I powered off and back on again. Now it seems back to normal.

Still a little mystified as to what prompted the weirdness. And hoping I don't have to do the wipe and re-install bit!

Text input causing strange characters popup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.