Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i run a new device off an old back up

I have a 4th Generation black eight gig ipod that has a cracked screen, full memory, and a home button that is becoming unresponsive. I am going to buy and Ipod 5th Generation 32 gig, but my only hesitation is that i dont want to loose all my data. I have a backup in the cloud and on my computer. When i buy my new one, can i just load it to that backup and basicaly a carbon copy? Or do i have to loose everything to upgrade? PLEASE ANSWER SOON

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 2:37 AM

See:

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Unless you use an encrypted backup keychain items like passwords are only restored to the same device. When I got my new iPad, I made an encrypted backup of the my old iPod and then restored from backup and the passwords were also restored.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2013 2:37 AM in response to @eric_anderson1

See:

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Unless you use an encrypted backup keychain items like passwords are only restored to the same device. When I got my new iPad, I made an encrypted backup of the my old iPod and then restored from backup and the passwords were also restored.

can i run a new device off an old back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.