Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting original pictures from finder - where are the pictures?

I copied a bunch of pictures from an old computer onto my new computer. I want all of my pictures to be in the same place. I imported them into iPhoto but had a bunch of thumbnails. So I deleted them from iPhoto and permanently deleted the trash in iPhoto and on my computer. The pictures are STILL in the original finder folder I created. Is that because iPhoto doesn't speak to that folder?

Can I permanently delete that folder?

If i do permanently delete the original finder folder with the original pictures, and all fo the pictures live in iPhoto, where are those pictures? My iPhoto library only allows me to double click and open the pictures in iPhoto. What if someday I want to open that picture in lightroom? How do i access the picture? Would I need to drag into my desktop and create a copy of it?

Thanks,

Marion

iPhoto '11, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 9:28 PM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2013 9:53 PM in response to marfen

1 - I'm not clear on your question but remember the primary rule of iPhoto (and all database programs) is NEVER use the finder or any other program to delete or modify the contents of the database (the iPhoto library) - DO NOT use the finder to delete anything in the iPhoto library

2 - if you select a photo in an event in iPhoto and delete it (press the delete key or drag it to the iPhoto trash) and then empty the iPhoto trash and teh system trash the photo is totally gone from the system

If this is not happening then you have a corrupted library and need to Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library

If the "originals folder" you created is outside the iPhoto library then you are in chare of it and must delete form it - iPhoto never does anything to anty think that is not in its library

In the iPhoto preferences have you unchecked the preference to copy imported items to the iPhoto library?

as to Lightroom - it is totally sepearte from iPhoto and does basically the same thing in a different way - to use photos in it you export tehm from iPhoto and import to LR - do not have LR directly access the contents of the iPhoto library - or have iPhoto directly access the contents of a LR library - they must be seperate

LN

Deleting original pictures from finder - where are the pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.