Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Touch 4th gen, "usb device not recognized", doesnt work on other computers either. Any assistance available? Thanks.

My ipod isnt recognized by windows! xP still charges though, but doesnt do so on an xbox 360 either. works perfectly fine, but isnt recognized on my windows 7 laptop or another one i tried syncing it on. any help or suggestions? thank you for reading 🙂

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 10:32 PM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2013 2:05 AM in response to RicardoIzMLG

- Try another cable

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

Did you do everything here:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

Including

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

and for the computer in queston

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7

different USB port?

Runs this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

- Make an appointment at the Genus Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jan 4, 2014 7:30 AM in response to RicardoIzMLG

Hello, I ran into a similar situation. I tried for weeks to fix my USB connection on my iPod 4G but could not get Windows 7 or XP to recognize it. I kept getting the USB device not recognized issue.

Eventually, I was able to dig up a firewire cabe. The firewire cable solved the problem immediately, enabling both my computer and iTunes to be able to access my iPod. I never got my USB connection to work. I suspect I will need to do a 'restore' on my iPod thru iTunes but will save that for another day. For now, I am happy to use firewire. Hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2014 7:39 AM in response to Avid Photographer

I do not understand. The 4G iPod does not use FireWire in any way.

Avid Photographer wrote:

Hello, I ran into a similar situation. I tried for weeks to fix my USB connection on my iPod 4G but could not get Windows 7 or XP to recognize it. I kept getting the USB device not recognized issue.

Eventually, I was able to dig up a firewire cabe. The firewire cable solved the problem immediately, enabling both my computer and iTunes to be able to access my iPod. I never got my USB connection to work. I suspect I will need to do a 'restore' on my iPod thru iTunes but will save that for another day. For now, I am happy to use firewire. Hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2014 8:07 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass,

Sorry for the confusion, let me clarify. I have an iPod Color (4th Generation). At one point it was referred to as an iPod 4G. I realize that this may have created some confusion in what I was trying to get across. That being said, I think it's still worth a shot. Essentially, you would need to try a find a cable that looks like this wherein you'd connect the firewire end to your PC and the other end to your iPod.

Jan 4, 2014 8:20 AM in response to lllaass

Incorrect. If you look up the specs you will see that the earlier ipods were capable of using either USB or Firewire for both data transfer or charging. In addition, it would not have been possible for me to have transferred data (which I did) using the firewire cable if what you said was true.

And no, it wasn't the USB cable. I tried several. It has to do with the fact that the USB driver was corrupted.

Good luck.

Ipod Touch 4th gen, "usb device not recognized", doesnt work on other computers either. Any assistance available? Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.