Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo library is damaged or unreadable

Tried loading photos from a new sd card.

error message reads:

Your photo library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened.

Please restore from a backup.

Did restore ..but with no luck.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Spoke with Apple Care support....to no avail.

The laundry list of problems in other areas...

repeated system crashes, etc. is too much to go into.

Eventually was sent to the 'senior support master'

who gave me his direct phone number. Should call him again,

because the guy I spoke with today didn't have a clue.

Have been having serious system problems for a while now....

and have hardly used this computer in the 6 months I have had it.....

Can't believe all of the problems.😢

One of the technicians actually said he thought the problem

was in the OAS installation of Mountain Lion when we first

got the computer.

Would appreciate any insights.

I think I need a new computer free of trouble....

is that even realistic? HA!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 10:23 PM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2013 12:28 AM in response to seafaring

Well he may be right about, Whatever OAS means, Install (I take that to mean the Factory Install of Mt Lion).

My take on Apple Mac and the built in programs.

Mac & OS X are no better then Windows. They can both suffer from software, OS, glitches and corruption and both can have hardware problems even brand new.

The included software should be bypassed and install other software that does the same thing, only better (IMHO)

iPhoto, Mail and Safari should be left alone and alternative programs installed. I'd also say that about iTunes but there isn't many if any other programs for OS X for managing a music library and if you have other Apple devices, "i" Phone/Pad, you're kind of stuck with iTunes.

Safari can be OK but IMHO Mail and iPhoto are the worst. iPhoto may be fine for the casual snapshot taker but for anyone that produces lots of images it simply doesn't cut it, IMHO.

On to the factory install of the OS. With any Manufactured computer, Apple, Dell, HP, whatever, the drive that is installed in the system is imaged from a Master image hundreds of drives, if not more, at one time. All that has to happen is that master image have one flaw and it can cause all systems imaged with it to have multiple bugs, crashes and glitches.

So you might be better off doing a complete wipe of the system and reinstalling OS X then restore only Programs, Settings and personal files from a Time Machine backup using Setup Assistant once the OS is reinstall and at First boot of the computer with the new OS install. Not Migrations assistant and not Restoring the complete system from a TM backup. Restoring a flawed TM backup just carries over those glitches.

As to your iPhoto Library it may be TOAST. But you may still be able to salvage your photo.

Open a finder window and go to your Username folder then Pictures folder then the iPhoto Library.photolibrary file (Which is really a folder, Apple calls it a Package) and Right Click on it and select Show Package Contents.

User uploaded file

That will Expand into something like this.

User uploaded file

In the Masters folder, barried deep in other subfolders, you may find your image files.

User uploaded file

Copy them out of there, out of every sub-sub-folder you fine, in the Masters folder to some other folder on your drive and then to an external drive for safe keeping.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Post back if you have any more questions.

Mar 31, 2013 8:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

New iMac since early Sept. 2012 Due to much travel, I have hardly

had time to use it for the intended purposes of graphics/photo

editing and production. I do have a large amount of photos in IPhoto

which is backed up on an external....but cannot move ahead from this point forward.

total system crashes....occurring every 3 days....for weeks.

Apple Care has tried to isolate the problem ...with different approaches of removing unnecessary software, etc.

but general concensus from several Apple Care support technicians seems to be that it is a hardware problem....

likely connected to the original installation of the operating system update (Mountain Lion).

Seems that something got hung up in the process and has created a long line of glitches.

The computer did not come with Mountain Lion, so was given access to the software to instal it on our own

during the computer 'set up'..

The comments above are hardly "irrelevant", as I appreciate everyone's efforts to find resolution.

Mar 31, 2013 9:12 PM in response to Shootist007

Thank You for your response and insights!!

Wish I knew more about the nuts and bolts of hardware, software, etc.

but your description of " doing a complete swipe of the OS' echoes the latest

overview from the Senior Technician at Apple care, right down to the caution

about restoring a flawed TM backup carrying over the glitches.

Will keep your notes nearby to review the suggestions with tech support at Apple Care.

IMHO.....several family members and fiiends have Apple products. They don't seem to

have experienced as many problems as after YEARS of coputing with Apple.

Feels like I am on a never ending treadmill that will never stop.. It takes the joy out

of trying to accomplish even the simplest of tasks. It's just not right!

Yes, I am completely aware of the Tech World of problems, but THIS? ...is

rediculous.

Thanks again for your help.

Will keep you posted.

With Appreciation

Mar 31, 2013 9:14 PM in response to seafaring

If your system is unreliable because of a hardware fault, there's no point in trying to fix iPhoto. I'm not sure what you mean by this:

it is a hardware problem.... likely connected to the original installation of the operating system update

If Apple Support concluded that you had a hardware problem, why was it not repaired under warranty? What would a hardware fault have to do with the update?

Apr 1, 2013 2:51 AM in response to seafaring

Thank you. Hope you get it sorted out and can get on with your work.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

seafaring wrote:

Thank You for your response and insights!!

Wish I knew more about the nuts and bolts of hardware, software, etc.

but your description of " doing a complete swipe of the OS' echoes the latest

overview from the Senior Technician at Apple care, right down to the caution

about restoring a flawed TM backup carrying over the glitches.

Will keep your notes nearby to review the suggestions with tech support at Apple Care.

IMHO.....several family members and fiiends have Apple products. They don't seem to

have experienced as many problems as after YEARS of coputing with Apple.

Feels like I am on a never ending treadmill that will never stop.. It takes the joy out

of trying to accomplish even the simplest of tasks. It's just not right!

Yes, I am completely aware of the Tech World of problems, but THIS? ...is

rediculous.

Thanks again for your help.

Will keep you posted.

With Appreciation

Apr 1, 2013 9:45 PM in response to seafaring

OMG!!!!

My husband thought he would treat me to a "mac" because of my interest in photography and video production.....and what a nightmare! I have had my 2200 dollar mac for less than a month now, and tonight after up loading (almost 3000) photos from my sd card, (also my back up); I got the same message. I haven't even tried to restore anything because I haven't the slightest clue where to begin doing that. In fact....I don't even know how to reach support at apple care (sounds like that number will be #1 on my speed dial...when it is not on my RE-DIAL, that is. GRRR!)

BTW, I also noticed that prior to this message, my computer started acting funky; shutting down out of the blue, and resetting my videos slideshows to an empty templete, a few other things too.

Getting the impression that if we want joy out of simple tasks, we might consider going back to a pc.

Calling AC next I guess. 😟

photo library is damaged or unreadable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.