Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to filter / find referenced photos by where they are located

Ok guys, I have been going round the bend with this one.... I've been through all of the Filter options in Aperture 3.4.3 several times over the last week trying to find for some way to get Aperture to only show referenced photos that are located on a particular external hard drive (EXT1) / within a particular sub-folder.

In addition to some Originals/Masters being located on EXT1 I also have some referenced photos located on my start-up volume (OSX).

The desired function: I would like to move all of the photos (and video files) that Aperture is referencing (along with the existing folder structure) from within /EXT1/Photos/ to another folder (either also on EXT1 or maybe on to another drive (EXT2), it doesn't really matter where).

Why do I want to do this? I want to check whether there are any 'lost' files that shouldn't be inside /EXT1/Photos/ that Aperture is for some reason not referencing. If I move the files that Aperture is referecing away from their current location then the things that are left over would either need importing into Aperture, or moved eslewhere, or maybe even deleted. Some such files might have been put there by other applications, or by me accidentally, or more likely that Versions of them have been deleted from the Aperture library but the Orignals/Masters were not moved to the system Trash...

I've gone through 5 pages of google results, trying all of the keywords that I think might be relevant, searched many posts in macrumours forums as well as here, but I can't find an answer to what I thought would have been a simple question.

Under File > Locate Referenced Files Aperture can tell me which files are located on each Volume, but from here there is nothing that can be done with the results :-( being able to search my Volume and file path would be very useful to me.

If I've missed something obvious then sorry, but I've gone cross eyed with lack of sleep tonight 😕 I thought I'd throw the question out there in case someone knows whether this is type or search criteria is not possible, or if I'm just missing something obvious!

Thanks in advance,

Adam

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 12:48 AM

I think you have covered the options nicely:

• You can search for the file status: "referenced", "managed", "missing", offline
  • You can search for the file name, but cannot search for the path to the original.

trying to find for some way to get Aperture to only show referenced photos that are located on a particular external hard drive (EXT1) / within a particular sub-folder.

I'd first create a smart album showing all images on that drive dismounting the drive and using a search rule "File status is offline or File Stautus is missing". All referenced images on that drive should appear in this smart album. Create a regular album from this search result and reconnect your drive.

Back up your external!

Now relocate all files from the your album to the destination folder you want to move them to and look for left overs in the old folders that did not move.

Good luck

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2013 12:48 AM in response to asquires13

I think you have covered the options nicely:

• You can search for the file status: "referenced", "managed", "missing", offline
  • You can search for the file name, but cannot search for the path to the original.

trying to find for some way to get Aperture to only show referenced photos that are located on a particular external hard drive (EXT1) / within a particular sub-folder.

I'd first create a smart album showing all images on that drive dismounting the drive and using a search rule "File status is offline or File Stautus is missing". All referenced images on that drive should appear in this smart album. Create a regular album from this search result and reconnect your drive.

Back up your external!

Now relocate all files from the your album to the destination folder you want to move them to and look for left overs in the old folders that did not move.

Good luck

Léonie

Mar 31, 2013 5:40 PM in response to léonie

Bingo. Thanks leonieDF. Creating a smart album for Offline/Missing files worked a treat when the external drive EXT1 was the only one disconnected. Brilliant thinking out the box :-)

In the end, I was left over with iMovie Thumbnail videos and a load of small Facebook preview images that I think Aperture created internally some time in the past and then I'd somehow relocated them outside of the aperture library along with my Photo Stream photos....

ps. My external drive is backed up using Carbon Copy Cloner :-)

My next question, which I can post a new topic for if it's suggested, is "can you safely delete the RAW file in a previously imported RAW + JPEG pair?". I did some research into this a few weeks ago but didn't uncover a proper way of doing this, but someone suggested that you can simply just set the JPEG to be the Original/Master within Aperture and then delete the RAW file within Finder.

All seemed fine with the one Project that I tested this on until today when I started relocating my Originals. For each photo whose RAW file in a pair that I have deleted, I got an alert saying that "the file doesn't exist" and offered me the option of cancelling or continuing with the relocation.

The main reason for wanting to safely delete/disassociate these large RAW files is because I often shoot in RAW + JPEG, so every shot has a high fidelity version in case it turns out to be a good photo, but after importing and rating my shots in Aperture I only want to keep the RAW files for my 4 and 5 star shots. I would therefore like to completely remove the RAW version for the 1-3 star shots to save on precious hard drive space.

Thanks again in advance to anyone who has any tips.

Mar 31, 2013 9:47 PM in response to asquires13

My next question, which I can post a new topic for if it's suggested, is "can you safely delete the RAW file in a previously imported RAW + JPEG pair?". I did some research into this a few weeks ago but didn't uncover a proper way of doing this, but someone suggested that you can simply just set the JPEG to be the Original/Master within Aperture and then delete the RAW file within Finder.

That is a cumbersome workaround. I cannot really recommend it - I tried it myself. Aperture will complain over and over again about the missing RAW files and even repairing the library will ot fix it. The safer way to remove the raw files from the pair would be to export the jpegs as master and to reimport them, then to delete the older imported versions after lifting and stamping any edits you may have done already.

Aperture's built-in feature to keep only raw for selected images is to allow to import only the jpegs first, browse the images, and than add the raw later for the images that you want to have at a better resolution.

From the Aperture Manual:

If you import only the JPEG files and then later decide you want to download the RAW files as well, you can have Aperture identify and import the RAW files that match the JPEG files in your Aperture library.

To import the RAW files that match the JPEG files in your Aperture library

1. Choose “Matching RAW files” from the Import pop-up menu.The Include pop-up menu appears below the Import pop-up menu.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • To import all matching RAW files regardless of rating: Choose “All matching files” from the Include pop-up menu.
    • To import all RAW files matching JPEG files that are unrated or better: Choose “Unrated or better” from the Include pop-up menu.
    • To import all RAW files that match the current rating: Choose “Current filter” from the Include pop-up menu.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 6, 2013 2:39 PM in response to léonie

Yahoo for weekends. I spent a bit more time with Aperture today.

I think I'm going to mainly shoot in RAW going forward. Using the method recomended in the Aperture manual still requires you to keep the JPEG in a pair, and at 6MB+ that's still too much dead space for my liking. As well as hard work for not enough gain imo.

I can always Export a JPEG from the RAW after edits have been made to my 1-2 star photos, delete those RAWs and then re-import the smaller JPEG export.

Thanks for the tips though on what I can do with my existing pairs. I haven't got too many Projects with already edited photos in since I started shooting JPEG+RAW, so re-importing just the RAWs and going as I have said above shouldn't take too long.

Having said all this, if any Apple devs are listening, then it would be great if Aperture just let us safely break the JPEG+RAW pairs up 😉

Apr 6, 2013 3:29 PM in response to asquires13

Your experience lines up with mine.

Fwiw ... 🙂 ... I know of only one scenario in which I'd recommend recording RAW+JPEG pairs: pros on deadline who need JPG _immediately_. (There are, surely, other scenarios I'm not aware of.) Anyone not on a deadline is better served recording either JPG or RAW. The administrative overhead (the time spent by the user -- storage space is a trivial concern when weighed next to the cost of time and photography equipment) is not worth the gain.

As for JPG v. RAW: (my general advice) record JPG until you are not satisfied.

I don't advise you to downsize your Library by replacing some RAW Originals + Aperture's Version file with a created-and-imported JPG. For me:

- if a digital negative is worth keeping, it is worth keeping all of it.

- digital storage is inexpensive

- administering your proposed scheme (decide, export, import, double-check metadata, add Faces back as needed, &c., double-check location of Image by Project and of Original on storage media, and delete) is simply time I can put to better use developing good pictures or taking new ones. Or answering unasked questions here 😀 .

Apr 14, 2013 4:19 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks Kirby,

I appreciate your input on things, it's good to share experiences, learn from and be encouraged by others. We all have various requirements but it's good to hear that we're not alonw with our issues/niggles!

JPG + RAW does seem like a waste of time. I was thinking about replacing poor RAW shots with an exported JPG version to try and keep all of my photos on the internal hard drives of my MacBook, but you're right about the price of external storage, I should consider moving the 1-2 or even 1-3 star RAW originals to an external drive to definitely allow me to keep all of my better shots with the Aperture library for use whenever.

I really can't wait to get the organisation of the 'library' sorted out so I can focus on the photos themselves! I got back from travelling 4 months ago now and I think a lot of my friends and family have lost interest in seeing my photos 😝

How to filter / find referenced photos by where they are located

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.