Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP giving me electrical shocs

I have just read about this in several threads but haven't found any solution. I have my MBP for a year now, but since fall, I'm getting little electrical shocks when I touch my MPB when it's running and when I've been away for some minutes and touch it again. I'm not getting darted off my chair, but it's an unpleasant sting every time. And I'm worried what might come next.

I have my MB attached with the 3 prong plug. It's standing on a glass table.

Thanks a lot for a good idea!

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 3:26 AM

8 replies

Mar 31, 2013 3:53 AM in response to Peter R.

The three prong plug doesn't say anything: the lead to the mac is just two wire, no earth. Thus your issue may be static charge of the mac (do you have a new carpet?).

But since it came on lately, it may be that there is a small current leak in the charger, or charger and charger slot in the Mac (clean it).

Bring it in, with the charger.

Mar 31, 2013 5:30 AM in response to Peter R.

Well... I could be that it is built up in the mac, but it is more probable, that you are charged with static also.

Glass is a very good isolator, thus if the static potential is different between you and the mac you will feel it.

Try following: take a piece of aluminium foil, spred it on the floor, put the mac on it and stand yourself also on it (no rubber shoes), touch the mac, after the first touch it should not "sting" again. if it stings after half a day again (no rubber shoes), then it will perhaps being built up in the mac. All this without the charger connected.

MBP giving me electrical shocs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.