Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can increase text/font size iMac late 2012

I am a new iMac user so forgive my ignorance! I cannot get the font size on my 21 inch iMAC to increase and am having a hard time reading the screen? Can anyone tell me the way to do this please?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), Font/text size query

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 4:57 AM

There is no system font size adjustment per say, But you can change the "resolution" of the screen to make everything on the screen bigger. Go into your Applications folder>System Preferences>Display>and there click on the tab named "Display">click on the button "Scaled". You now have a list of availble screen resolutions for your display, and can select a "lower" resolution down the list to enlarge your screen images.

User uploaded file

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2013 4:57 AM in response to shronecooke

There is no system font size adjustment per say, But you can change the "resolution" of the screen to make everything on the screen bigger. Go into your Applications folder>System Preferences>Display>and there click on the tab named "Display">click on the button "Scaled". You now have a list of availble screen resolutions for your display, and can select a "lower" resolution down the list to enlarge your screen images.

User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2013 6:08 AM in response to Radiation Mac

Thanks for your help and it does indeed make screen images larger, which will help me when it is really difficult to read something, although you really do notice the loss in definition. And I have found with the magic trackpad that I can zoom in and out by pinching with finger and thumb. But why no font adjustment I wonder? It seems a bit strange for something that is supposed to be so "state of the art" What about us short-sighted folk! I must say it has taken the gilt off the gingerbread for this new Mac owner. Thanks again!

Mar 31, 2013 10:23 AM in response to shronecooke

But why no font adjustment I wonder?

Actually, there is.... sort of: Open a Finder window...Click on the gear button upside down triangle>Show View Options: This window has settings for icon sizes and font sizes. The largest font size is 16. Hint: The larger the icon the larger the fonts. When done, click the Use as Defaults button.

Another hint: System Preferences>General-Turn off text smoothing for font sizes___and smaller. The number 12 works great for me.

My personal setup: Display=1600x900, Finder (windows) icon size=112x112, text size=16

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2013 9:41 AM in response to shronecooke

You should be seeing the Use As Default button. The only Show View Options window that does not have it is the desktop. So make sure you are not selecting that.

Your system profile indicates you should be using Mountain Lion. Which version are you using?

Post a screen shot of a view option window showing you do not have the default button by clicking the cam icon in your reply window.

User uploaded file

Apr 3, 2013 1:23 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Hi Baby Boomer - I have Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Yesterday when looking at a tutorial I found that Finder should open with the Home icon (the house) but mine was opening with All My Files and the house icon was not showing at all in the pane. Somehow (don't ask me how) I managed to get Finder to show the home icon and my computer name and when I click Show View Options on this then I do indeed get the Use as Default Button. I haven't quite worked out how to send you a screenshot of the window, but if you have Mountain Lion 10.8.3 same as me, if you look at Finder under All My Files you might see no Use as Default button?

This is my first Mac and I've had it less than a week - there have been some funny anomalies. When I first switched on it came up with the utility Voice Over and wanted me to hearn how to use it to Set Up!! I finally found out how to close it (Google on my old PC!) and it seemed quite a few folk were having the same problem. Oddly, although I have bought and paid for "Pages" and it is showing me it wants updating, when I try and update it my Mac tells me I haven't bought it!

Will try and send you a screen shot when I look up how to do it!

Apr 3, 2013 3:26 AM in response to shronecooke

Oddly, although I have bought and paid for "Pages" and it is showing me it wants updating, when I try and update it my Mac tells me I haven't bought it!

Have you logged onto the App Store (in the Apple menu), clicked on the Purchases tab? Is it available for you to download?

Also, it's possible it'll get put in a folder within the Applications folder called 'iWork'.

Apr 3, 2013 10:15 AM in response to shronecooke

Sending a screenshot is no longer necessary. Screen shot instructions are in the Mac's built-in Help menu. It's the menu at the very top of your desktop.

The following should help you a great deal:

Apple’s troubleshooting website: Mac 101

The following reference book: OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual - David Pogue. This book is very easy reading, non technichal & non geeky. I strongly recommend this book as it takes you step-by-baby steps through Mountain Lion.

User uploaded file

Apr 4, 2013 1:22 AM in response to Paul_31

Hi Paul and thanks for the hints - this is the subject of another thread I think, so hope I don't get hauled over the coals for replying back to you on it on this thread. I have tried everything you suggest and Pages does not show as installed, although some version of it is, and it works ok - I have created and edited and printed with it. In the App Store it shows as requiring updating, followed by App Store error message 100. Others with this problem say they have had to go back to Apple and get a refund on the supposed preinstalled software and then repurchase it. Thanks again

PS I am in the Limousin!

how can increase text/font size iMac late 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.