Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clean up my macbook pro - It's full

Please help. My Macbook Pro is running slow because it is almost full. How do I get rid of files I do not need (even the stuff that I cannot readily see), without risking erasing something important, and without going through each and every file?

I've already deleted videos which seem to take up a lot of space...

And then, once I'm done that I'd like to upgrade my operating system... I'm currently on OS X 10.6.8 and don't have enough room to upgrade at the moment.

btw... Is there a way to keep iPhoto running the way it is in this operating system once I upgrade? I have the latest on my other computer but I don't like the way iPhoto is on it...

Thank you so much.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 8:43 AM

applesupportivana wrote:

... How do I get rid of files I do not need (even the stuff that I cannot readily see), without risking erasing something important, and without going through each and every file?

If you are asking if there is a utility that can reliably identify and eradicate large files that you do not need, the answer is no. Though there are several that will offer to "clean up junk files" for you there is no way for them to know what is required and what it not, what you need and what you don't, and the results can be disastrous.

In addition to Apple's guidance on the matter: Mac OS X 10.6: Increasing disk space, there are some suggestions from Apple Support Communities contributor Pondini that you might find helpful:

btw... Is there a way to keep iPhoto running the way it is in this operating system once I upgrade? I have the latest on my other computer but I don't like the way iPhoto is on it...

For that you have to be more specific: what version to you have and what you find objectionable with the new version. I can find nothing to dislike in the new iPhoto, so I can't begin to guess. The short answer is to archive your old system on a partition or an external disk, so that you can always revert to the old system should you want to do that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2013 8:43 AM in response to applesupportivana

applesupportivana wrote:

... How do I get rid of files I do not need (even the stuff that I cannot readily see), without risking erasing something important, and without going through each and every file?

If you are asking if there is a utility that can reliably identify and eradicate large files that you do not need, the answer is no. Though there are several that will offer to "clean up junk files" for you there is no way for them to know what is required and what it not, what you need and what you don't, and the results can be disastrous.

In addition to Apple's guidance on the matter: Mac OS X 10.6: Increasing disk space, there are some suggestions from Apple Support Communities contributor Pondini that you might find helpful:

For that you have to be more specific: what version to you have and what you find objectionable with the new version. I can find nothing to dislike in the new iPhoto, so I can't begin to guess. The short answer is to archive your old system on a partition or an external disk, so that you can always revert to the old system should you want to do that.

How do I clean up my macbook pro - It's full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.