Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reducing existing .mov file size

Hello,

I have a .mov file create via quicktime screen capturing video software on the mac. I believe it was captured at the highest resoluton possible. Right now the the movie is 5 minutes and it's 200mb.

How do I reduce the size of the video file to a more managable size to then import into iMovie as I would like to to combine it with another movie on iMovie in the near future.

Thanks, Dave

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:07 AM

I have a .mov file create via quicktime screen capturing video software on the mac. I believe it was captured at the highest resoluton possible. Right now the the movie is 5 minutes and it's 200mb.

With a data rate of approcimately 5.33 Mbps for an H.264/AAC screen capture, this is already considered a reasonably small file. (E.g., a DV file of the same duration would likely be more than 1 GB in size).

How do I reduce the size of the video file to a more managable size to then import into iMovie as I would like to to combine it with another movie on iMovie in the near future.

The file is already quite manageable in terms of file size for use in iMovie as long as you have free disc space avasilable. As to reducing storage requirements in general, the easiest way to reduce file size is to reduce the data rate used to store the data. Unfortunately, this means further compression of the data which is another ware of saying throwing away more data and reducing the file quality. To make up for this lost quality, you could reduce the resolution of your video from HD (e.g., 1920x1080) down to SD (e.g., 640x360) to restore/retain the original video quality in terms of data per pixel encoding requirements. In short, to really answer your question you will have to provide more information as to your goals here and what you are will to give up to achieve the reduction in file size you seek.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2013 9:07 AM in response to sprdaved

With a data rate of approcimately 5.33 Mbps for an H.264/AAC screen capture, this is already considered a reasonably small file. (E.g., a DV file of the same duration would likely be more than 1 GB in size).

The file is already quite manageable in terms of file size for use in iMovie as long as you have free disc space avasilable. As to reducing storage requirements in general, the easiest way to reduce file size is to reduce the data rate used to store the data. Unfortunately, this means further compression of the data which is another ware of saying throwing away more data and reducing the file quality. To make up for this lost quality, you could reduce the resolution of your video from HD (e.g., 1920x1080) down to SD (e.g., 640x360) to restore/retain the original video quality in terms of data per pixel encoding requirements. In short, to really answer your question you will have to provide more information as to your goals here and what you are will to give up to achieve the reduction in file size you seek.

User uploaded file

Apr 1, 2013 10:23 PM in response to sprdaved

Use Compressor to specify a target bitrate of 1400Kbps for video and 192Kbps for audio.

Or You could also try HandBrake to compress the exported iMovie sequence further.

look out in the "Reduce video size in Windows" section:

http://www.avs4you.com/guides/reduce-video-file-size.aspx

Btw, "mg" is short for "milligram", a metric unit for weight. "MegayByte" is abbreviated with "MB".

Apr 2, 2013 7:14 AM in response to sprdaved

Thanks everyone.... I'm very new to iMovie, so I ended up leaving well enough alone. I did basic editing and combined two videos, balanced the audio, and then left the file size in it's high quality form. I even put in a couple of transitions.

I will investigate the changes in bit rates and the effect on quality with the videos later today. However, they are in their "final" form and delivered to the client.

Have a great day!

reducing existing .mov file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.