Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Profile Manager deploys profiles updates outside my LAN?

Hello I am testing OS X ML Server and its service...

My question is: Does Profile Manager deploys profiles updates outside my LAN?

If I try to deploy profiles updates to my ipad or iphone when is NOT connected to my WIFI (and is connected to internet btw) it doesn't work...

and I can see in profile manager the status "sending" forever...

If I can't send a wipe command from my Apple MDM when the iphone or ipad is outside my LAN it is useless...

I have read from this post that this Apple MDM is unreliable.... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4254271?start=0&tstart=0

did anyone get a better impression testing it?

cheers

carlo

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Hi

"My question is: Does Profile Manager deploys profiles updates outside my LAN?"

Yes it does.

Are you certain your firewall is allowing the necessary traffic through?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5302

"I have read from this post that this Apple MDM is unreliable . . . did anyone get a better impression testing it?"

At this time Profile Manager in some people's opinion/experience appears to be unreliable/unpredictable when using it for managing OS X devices. Personally I've not had that many issues with it but then again (with respect) my expectations may be more realistic than others. For iOS devices it works fine once you begin to work with its limitations. My overall impression is "usable, but could be better."

HTH?

Tony

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2013 12:50 PM in response to giancarlo@bagnetti.com

Hi

"My question is: Does Profile Manager deploys profiles updates outside my LAN?"

Yes it does.

Are you certain your firewall is allowing the necessary traffic through?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5302

"I have read from this post that this Apple MDM is unreliable . . . did anyone get a better impression testing it?"

At this time Profile Manager in some people's opinion/experience appears to be unreliable/unpredictable when using it for managing OS X devices. Personally I've not had that many issues with it but then again (with respect) my expectations may be more realistic than others. For iOS devices it works fine once you begin to work with its limitations. My overall impression is "usable, but could be better."

HTH?

Tony

Apr 4, 2013 7:57 PM in response to giancarlo@bagnetti.com

PM will indeed deploy profiles wipe erase devices outside of your network

providing the device is connected to another network.

Assuming your behind a NAT device, you'll have to forward specific ports PM uses to your server for this to happen and allow those same ports though any firewalls you may have

As well as making sure your PM server name resolves correctly outside of your network

Apr 5, 2013 4:42 AM in response to giancarlo@bagnetti.com

Hi Carlo

I answered your question in the first response to your post. What further answer do you want?

Why are you bothering with NAT/Firewall if you've opened all the ports? However it's your network and you do what you like. Is your domain name the same as your Avatar name? If it is you've a problem with reverse DNS. If I go to your website to try and access PM's self-service portal I get nowhere. Of course this may not mean anything but we're going to need more from you to help us help you.

HTH?

Tony

Jan 1, 2014 5:08 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

Based on this thread, am i correct in presuming that profile manager cannot send profile updates outside my LAN unless I am using a FQDN for the server that is registered?

Right now, my server does use a FQDN, and I own the domain name, but I have not setup external DNS to point it at my server because my server only provides services within the LAN.

Does Profile Manager deploys profiles updates outside my LAN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.