Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Problem with iPhone 4 screen color! (Discoloration and Image Persistence)

Hi guys! I had this problem about 3 months ago. I started having this when I took a screen shot of a game then suddenly after the flash, the colors changed.

Yesterday it came back to normal for the first time but after several minutes, it went back to the distorted colos mode. 😟

Here are some pictures of the actual screen condition.

User uploaded file

You can see the problem here. The icons have a bit of a dark shade in their middle parts, but when I touch and select an icon, it shows their normal colors.

*Look at the VIDEO ICON, PHOTO ICON and PHONE ICON.

User uploaded file

As you can see in this image, it's like on a thermal camera mode. LOL! it also has a large amount of image persistence in it. 😟

User uploaded file

In this image, you can see that the lower part of the screen is missing (blackened) and has some image persistence too. You can also see the difference in color of the messages tab.

User uploaded file

Image color is different and has image persistence too.

User uploaded file

The colors are different and the screens bottom part is darkened.

User uploaded file

One thing I noticed here is that when the accesive touch button menu is active, the icons behind it get their normal colors back.

*take a look a the APP STORE ICON, MAIL ICON, SAFARI ICON, CONTACTS ICON and PASSBOOK ICON

Any help guys? Is there any software that can fix this or any method you know? If there's anyone who have the same problem and has encountered the same problem, kindly reply and post some solutions.

Thanks in advanced for those who will read this post and give me some answers! 🙂

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 1:17 PM

You may have to Restore the iPhone with iTunes on your computer. But first try this, press the Home button twice quickly, in the new bottom row of icons, press and hold on an icon until you get the Red Minus Sign, then tap all the Red Minus Signs. After this, Reset, hold both the Home and Power buttons for about 10 seconds until the iPhone begins to restart. If this does not correct the problem, then try Restore with iTunes on computer.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2013 1:17 PM in response to Jerome Jake

You may have to Restore the iPhone with iTunes on your computer. But first try this, press the Home button twice quickly, in the new bottom row of icons, press and hold on an icon until you get the Red Minus Sign, then tap all the Red Minus Signs. After this, Reset, hold both the Home and Power buttons for about 10 seconds until the iPhone begins to restart. If this does not correct the problem, then try Restore with iTunes on computer.

Mar 31, 2013 7:12 PM in response to brad805

Hey thanks for the reply brad805. I do appreciate it man. I tried to close the background apps by pressing the home button twice and the screen darkening at the bottom was gone. However, the rainbow color effect and discoloration is still there. Let me try to restore my phone and update you if it fixes the issue. Thank you so much again for your help!

Sep 16, 2013 5:44 PM in response to Jerome Jake

Got the same problem here. Left it charging at night and when I woke up this morning, same discolouration happened. Bought my iPhone 4 in the UK 2 years ago but I'm working in China now and there aren't any apple stores or authorised repair shops around that I trust. Very frustrating indeed.. Tried all the recommendations mentioned here and the problem persists. Can anyone help? Very much appreciated and thanks in advance. :)

HELP! Problem with iPhone 4 screen color! (Discoloration and Image Persistence)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.