Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kextcache error while updating /

This problem is becoming annoying currently, because if kextcache update fails, it seems to re-try again after several minutes. and when kextcache runs again, it use up to 100% cpu, and then the fan will start to blow up, which maks noise.

I checked this discuss:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4269472

wondering if I had the same problem as the author (harddrive problem), but after verified the disk, the disk seems to be ok.

error log is like:

com.apple.kextcache[287]: Lock acquired; proceeding.
com.apple.kextcache[287]: rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
com.apple.kextcache[288]: BoulderScsi.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kernel.libkern.
com.apple.kextcache[288]: BoulderScsi.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
com.apple.kextcache[288]: BoulderScsi.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kernel.libkern.
com.apple.kextcache[288]: Prelink failed for com.freecom.driver.BoulderScsi; aborting prelink.
com.apple.kextcache[288]: Failed to generate prelinked kernel.
com.apple.kextcache[287]: Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[288] exited with status 71.
com.apple.kextcache[287]: Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.
com.apple.kextd[17]: kextcache error while updating / (error count: 1)
... same lines * 25 times here
com.apple.kextd[17]: kextcache error while updating / (error count: 26)
com.apple.kextd[17]: /: kextcache has had enough tries; not launching any more
com.apple.kextd[17]: /: giving up; kextcache hit max failures

can anybody help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 11:23 AM

The problem is caused by the Freecom software that you installed. Either remove it according to the developer's instructions, or contact the developer for support.

4 replies

Dec 2, 2013 2:44 AM in response to leungwensen

Hi,

interesting: I have the same issue, however, I don't have any software from Freecom installed.

Here is my situation, which - to me - is quite bizarre.

Some weeks ago, I installed an SSD as the boot disk, moving my "old" HDD to the Superdrive bay.

This worked quite well. I then upgraded to Mavericks (from ML).

It's tough to say for certain, but my impression is that since I upgraded, things have gone quite awry.

I'm seeing these Error 107 messages from kextcache as well, repeating over and over periodically. What is very odd is this: the cache is trying to update on the HDD! I checked; there is a Library and a System directory in the HHD's root.

I figured I had forgotten to clear those out when I changed the HDD to be a data-only drive, and that Mavericks was using the System directory on the HDD because - well - it was there. So I deleted both the Library and System directories and rebooted.

This fixed Pathfinder's lockup error (after updating), but - much to my surprise - the System directory is back!

All it contains is a Library directory and that only has a Caches directory in it, which - no surprise - contains the com.apple.kext.caches directory. This subtree belongs to root with group wheel, so that should be ok.

So:

1) why on earth is Mavericks putting this directory on the HDD, and not on the SSD which contains the "real" system directory?

2) why am I getting 107 errors?

Here is the relevant part of my log:

User uploaded file

Apparently, I'm not the only one, I just found this discussion on what seems to be a similar subject:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5490448

Thanks!

kextcache error while updating /

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.