9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 10:24 AM by paulcb
goldfilm Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was checking Apple Maps on my iPhone 5 at 5% and it suddenly died. I was in the street about to go somewhere so it really ****** me off. On top of that, nobody could help me in stores or bars because everybody has the old connector to charge it!

When I arrived home I plugged it in and in a matter of seconds it came back at 5%.

Any solution to avoid it happening again?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1
  • diesel vdub Level 7 Level 7 (21,975 points)

Simple solution, do not run it down to 5%.

Draining a lithium ion battery completely is not good for the battery.

• goldfilm Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I didn't expect that answer... I use my iPhone to work on the road and some times I don't have the chance to re charge it, so I depend a lot on a good battery.

Everytime I can I follow all the tips to improve battery life, many of them ridiculous (i.e. do not use LTE or location service!!!).

In this case it wasn't that my battery died: the phone unexpectedly died and as soon as I plugged it it wen't back to the original state of 5%. It's the first time, many other times I've used the phone with 3%, even 1%, especially once a month, to run it to 0%, as recommended by Apple, and never had a problem.

That's why I'm asking if anybody experienced the same, and if there's any tip to avoid it, like reconfigure or reinstall or something...

thanks for your answer anyways.

• tonefox Level 6 Level 6 (8,780 points)

The battery readout is not 100% accurate. To make the battery readout more accurate you are advised to charge the phone to 100%, then run it down until it cuts out, once a month or so.

If you are on the road a lot, why do you not have a range of mains and car chargers to hand?

• paulcb Level 6 Level 6 (19,090 points)

Try fully discharging (until it shuts off) and then fully recharging (don't unplug until 100%) to recalibrate the battery meter.  You may need to do this a few times.

Draining a lithium ion battery completely is not good for the battery.

The iPhone does not let the battery drain completely... it shuts off prior to that, i.e. 0% is not 0 volts.

I already did it a few times and two days ago I was again with 5%, I turned it off to save some battery and I couldn't turn it on again!!!! It asked me to plug it.

Like tonefox said, the meter is not perfect.  That being said, you may have a battery problem.  It's still under warranty so take it in and let Apple look at it.

Because I travel by bus

Also, because manytimes I have to be in the street a lot and I have no time to look for cafés with power supplies. What turns me crazy is that the two times my phone dies at 5% I managed to find people with chargers, but the universal one, not the new iPhone 5 charger